Disk Drive Error and Freezing during Disk Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

True_Orb

Daemon Poster
Lately I've found that my computer will more or less randomly switch to a blue screen that says "An error has occurred and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage." or something to that extent.

The only troubleshooting help I got was to run a disk check upon startup to check for errors, but I have tried twice now and the disk check freezes at 55 percent!

The freezes occurred first while defragmenting and I believe this happened after I deleted (without uninstalling, my mistake) a large file group (Steam, an online gaming prog that runs upon startup for things like HL2.)
I am not sure how this could have effected things, but that was the last significant thing I remember donig before noticing this. I have not downloaded any drivers recently.

My Norton and AVG virus scans turned up nothing.

I have backed up most of my needed files onto CD just in case, but I'd rather NOT format my hard drive unless there's nothing else I can do.

Any ideas of causes and solutions? :(

Thanks in advance.

sounds like a failing HD. the HD manufactuer may provided tools to test the drive. goto their website and look under support, downloads, or diagnostics

Thanks, but when I tried to do the Seagate drive diagnostic it said that "SMART self-test is not supported for this drive. This may be due to a limitation in teh Windows driver for the controller that the drive is attached to or the drive may not support the SMART self-test. In either case, this is not a failure of the drive."

:(

I ran a seagate test and it said there was a "Bad Connection" Error.
Even though it said it would take 90 seconds for every GB of space to check, immediately after I had it start the test it turned up a "Bad Connection" error, and said that the damage to my hard disk is sufficient to have it replaced. :(

Is this definite? Will formatting help at all, could there have been an error considering the "Bad Connection" error and how fast it turned up the problem...or do I have to haggle w/ Seagate over a new HDD? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom