Up and Running!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toogreen

Baseband Member
Hey, I finally got my computer running. If youve read the Official - My New Rig Building Thread, you will know I was having problems with my hard drive. Well, it ended up I needed a driver from my motherboard CD before it would be recognized. Anyway, it did and now I am sitting in front of a computer with Windows XP with only a recycle bin icon. I took my computer to a computer business and they fixed it as well as helped me get started. He installed an ethernet driver some generic Nvidia video card driver and one other one that came with my motherboard CD. I am now wondering what to do next. I don't have internet hooked up yet (I am on labtop right now). But, for those of you with DSL, what cables need to be hooked up to the back on comp? Also, what steps do I take from here to secure a well running system?

Congatulations on your new system! Post some benchmarks. Also, just run CAT5 from your DSL modem to your ethernet port.

Problem is I don't know how to identify if its a CAT5 Cable. Is it a rectangles shaped slot with a slip like that of a phone line cable? Because, I did connect that and it didn't work...By the way, just installed Doom 3 and it ran GREAT!!! No lag what so ever, then agian it was on 640 x 420 resolution and I didn't touch detail. I did notice one thing though. When I moved back and forth over objects, as soon as I jerk the mouse you could see small lines through the graphics until i stopped the mouse. I think I need the newest drivers. But, i cant get those till I get online. I did install one video driver already, but I still think I need a new one, right? Also, I played Doom 3 hard for a good hour and a half as soon as I left my CPU temp was at 37 F and motherboard 21 F. So, i am running at a nice temp. Idling at 33F

it should say cat 5e on the cable itself....it goes into the larger "phone jack" like slot.
make sure you've got your network card set up properly too..havin' the tcp/ip protocal installed.

Well this is what ive done so far to no avail. I turned off surge protector unplugged CAT5 plugged into my computer and replugged behind box. Left all other cables same, then setup a connection. I then try to open Internet Explorer and it did not work. So if you guys might no the problem, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom