Next Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueXP-20

Baseband Member
I've been looking into ways that I can make my computer faster and more reliable. I've narrowed it down to 3 things.
Radeon X800 256
Liquid Cooling (not sure what system yet, probably a nice one around 400)
More memory (Corsair)
Suggestions?

I don't exactly know what you mean by "faster and more reliable". If you're wanting to play games at a higher quality, which I assume you are judging by the system, I would pick the video card upgrade. You already have 1 GB of Corsair RAM, which is more than enough, and liquid cooling will do nothing to make your computer faster so the video card is the way to go. For $400, you could buy an eVGA nVidia GeForce 6800 GT and overclock it to ultra speeds. Combine that card with your current CPU and RAM, and you'll be able to play any game at very high settings. Good luck with your upgrade.

thanks, i thought the other options werent great for making my computer faster. I just wasn't too sure. And i did mean faster as in play games at a higher quality.

One other thing.
What would be the best card for arounbd 400 that is made by ATI.

The x800XT sells for around that much I think?

Forget memory, but watercooling seems to be a good idea. If that's a 90nm core, combined with watercooling you should be able to overclock the 3200+ pretty god damn high.

Or you can invest in a better proccesor altogether, perhaps the 3800+ or the FX-53?

ATi's card for around $400 dollars is called the X800 PRO, however I would highly discourage it. As you can see here the X800 PRO is destroyed by the 6800GT, and it isn't even clock up to 6800 Ultra speeds. Of course you're free to do as you wish, but I would recommend the 6800GT, it is a far better value for the money. If you have further questions, a user here by the name of "beedubaya" has an X800 PRO and has expressed his regrets for not getting the 6800GT.

Why the ATI card? Both NVIDIA and ATI have options that are considerable, unless your an ATI fanboy.

I am on the video card boat as well. More ram wont do much of anything, liquid cooling will do just a bit.

I suggest you take a look into both ATI and NVIDIA cards

Well x800 XT if you can afford it, or an X800 XL if you can't, cause the X800 XL is better than the 6800 GT, and only $300!

it beats the 6800 gt in a few benchmarks, but I would not say it is a better card, although is probbably better value. the XT is definately a better card than the XL, and a little better than the 6800 GT although more expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom