Argh underclocked! (cool as ever tho)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

In Runtime
Grrr... I got a nice 2.8ghz Pentium4 pc in parts for christmas and I assmbled them (ill tell ya specs in a sec) and the pc works fine. Just one problrm. It detects the 2.8ghz p4 chip as a 1.6ghz. Now the computer actually knows its 2.8 as it says it in control panel, but it only runs at 1.6. the pc has the following specs:

MSI p4mam-v Mobo
512DDR ram (333mhz)-All in one module
SBLive Card
Geforce4 graphics
DVD Rewriter and cdrom
and of course the offending 2.8ghz pentium4 chip

Now initially i thought it might be bios settings (the mobo doesnt have jumpers) but the cpu clock is 133 currently (allows any value to be changed as long as it is between 133 and 200) and the cpu clock is the only changable factor. The mulitplier is currently 12.0x133=1.6ghz and to work properly the multiplier has to be set to 21. Ive seen other motherboards of the same model (p4mam-v) accept this p4 chip without a problem, so is there a way to hardwire or somehow manually change this ratio? I need the power for my audio editing and i really wanna see it fly. Cheers, Kris

Your mobo is the problem, you can only run PC2100 ram in there. That is why it is at 1.6ghz because your systems fsb is only 266.

damn!

Well people the problem remains.

I downgraded to pc2100 ram and the processor is as 1.6gig as it ever was.

Ive replaced all the memory from 2100 to 3200 via 2700. The motherboard has been replaced. Soon the chip itself will be replaced. Just what the hell is going on? I took it to a shop earlier and they could find no reason why the parts are incompatible!

CPU Freq: 133
DRAM: 133

- just in case that helps

currently got 2700 ram on a mercury ps661-fxm-l mobo

and supports 200/266 ram so you can run upto pc 3200 ddr
What are you talking about, 266 is PS2100, PC3200 is 400, but what I don't get is that the website says both sort of.

I don't understand their info though it says:

• Supports Four memory banks using two 184-pin unbuffered DDR200/266 DIMM

which means only up to PC2100, then up here it says:

• 2 DIMMs w/ DDR400 upto 2GB so that means PC3200 then again it says:

Supports DDR 200/266 SDRAM.

which again is PC2100...soo yeah I don't fully understand their memory labeling system there.

EDIT: Dakta, have you made sure to adjust the CPU:DRAM ratio in your BIOS from 1:1 to what it should be? If it's sitting at 1:1 in the BIOS then the RAM and CPU are going to be forced to match up to the appropriate speed and in this case since the RAM won't go above 133 neither will the CPU.

You need to have like a 3:2 kind of ratio between CPU:DRAM so the CPU can be at 166 and the RAM be at 133

Make sure, that if the option suggests, that in your BIOS you selected "Load Optimized Defaults", that scared me a lot and I had the same problem with an AMD XP.

i took your advice and carefully i boosted my pc. Its now boosted 2.4Ghz but i cant take it at or above 2.5/2.6 or else my system becomes unstable bus is now at about 860mhz and fsb is 207mhz and my memory is 2700. what next people? thanks for the so far support you nerly got me there.

Dude, did you check your BIOS for CPU:DRAM Ratio options?

There should be no 'boosting' involved, simply setting the CPU at what it needs to be at and making sure the RAM doesn't follow it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom