os upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickis

Solid State Member
i currently have win 2k and might be upgrading to xp pro. if i do this will i loose all my data or will it just install the newsystem files. this would be my first time upgrading an os and would appreciate any help. thank.

Your files will be there, make sure you get the upgrade version. Sometimes you might have to reinstall some programs. Here and there, but no big deal.

When you install XP, make sure you do an upgrade and not a new installation (for advanced users) and your files will be there.

Save....all you can! Documents, e-mail, vidoes and what not. Prepare to lose all. While you may not lose all.....prepare for the worst.

ok thanks for the advice, ill copy folders to a networked comp, any other suggestions.

also, i read somewhere on another topic that xp take up around 128 to 256 of resources. i just bought this comp and only have 256mb or ram becasue i havent found any good priced ddr2 yet. so is it even logical to upgrade or would this downgrade and make my system slower?

256 is enough. If you want to really crunch every last drop of performance out of the 256 ram, change the apperance of XP to make it look like Win98. START> SETTINGS> CONTROL PANEL> SYSTEM> ADVANCED> PERFORMANCE SETTINGS> ADJUST FOR BEST PERFORMANCE

Also make your Page File at least 1gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom