What port to open?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
Well, a relative of mine has a Web Cam and just bought a router to hook up another computer to the internet! Sinse the router was installed, the web cam has not worked on MSN Messanger! They gave me no info on what web cam or Router they have (Maybe a D-Link router) ...But I was wondering what port would I have to open to allow their Web Cam to work?:rolleyes:

That would be based entirely on the web cam. No way to tell without knowing what cam they are using.

Wouldn't it just go through port 80? I don't think most web cam software uses different ports. Might be wrong though.

Slightly OT but interesting...

You have to watch you hook up with with a cam... at least on Yahoo.. a friend of mine wrote an interesting little program.. someone would view his webcam and he could look through their whole computer as long as the cam was connected.

some routers like the SMC barricade have a function that seal some ports foe comunication whit other computers and that other progrqams uses like messenger and netmeeting, if that function is activated.
if you disable the function you should be able to use messenger and other programs. try to read the manual of the router, you can find it in the manufacturer web site.

hope this help you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom