Internet Explorer Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
A friend's computer has had some major internet explorer errors. He has a three month old E-Machine.

There are errors whenever the following are opened:

+ My Computer
+ Internet Explorer
+ Windows Explorer
+ Start Menu

When IE is started the following message appears: "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Then it says information may be lost, then an option to send my information to Microsoft.

Heres the IE information given during the error:

AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106
ModName: helper101.dll
ModVer: 0.0.0.0
Offset: 000710f1

I have tried to restore the computer to an earlier date, but each time the restore comes up incomplete.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

I use Fire Fox on my PC. I always have used mozilla products. However, my friend doesnt :angry:

Spyware, adaware, and virus scan didnt work =(

Any other suggestions?

If *scans* of any kind did not work, consider the pc useless, restoring didn't work either which suggests the presence of some sort of virus or malware. This isn't about Internet Explorer but about the PC itself, so Firefox won't help.

Cheers!

It sounds like some of Internet Explorers data has been corrupted so it won't work properly, you can try popping in your XP CD and doing a repair to see if that fixes it, but often a reinstall is the best way of fixing damaged data.

see what the event viewer says and give its details (in the admin tools, or start/run MMC and add event viewer snap in and check there). Also, try this... right click on IE icon on desktop, click Properties, goto Advanced tab and under Browsing untick Enable Third Party Browser Extensions(requires restart)

killians45 said:
Also, try this... right click on IE icon on desktop, click Properties, goto Advanced tab and under Browsing untick Enable Third Party Browser Extensions(requires restart)

You are a genious.

So what would cause the computer to mess up like that?

and,

What exactly are "third party browser extentions"?

they are features ingrained into explorer that were created by, well... third party companies (as in, stuff added in not created by microsoft). More than likely you have something in there deeply rooted into it that it MUST have to function, otherwise it wont work. So, stuff created by companies other than microsoft. Examples would be BHO (browser helper objects), search engines (local and internet). Oh, stay AWAY from local (as in, searches your system) engines! They can screw things up! Also, AOL has been seen to do this. At least, some of the older version. Don't know about the newer ones. Long story short, was something installed. Either intentionally or snuck in, who knows?
anyhow, if the 3rd party garbage is corrupt, it'll cause all sorts of problems. So, you just disable the 3rd party stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom