Secondary power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerXero

In Runtime
do they make power supplys that can sit outside the case that dont hook up to motherboard for like running extra fans and whatever else . If not , is there a way to hook a power supply up so it turns on from the same power switch as the first one ?

A have been wondering the same thing. im planning to put an old AT style power supply in my computer because im afraid my 300w one in my computer right now might not take the stress of all the components i have hooked up to it. im pretty sure you dont have to plug the psu into the motherboard to supply power. i would only hook up fans to it thought. my case is really really big so i think i could fit the extra psu in the case.

im pretty sure you dont have to plug the psu into the motherboard to supply power.
Yeah you do, try plugging in a fan to the PSU without it being plugged into the motherboard and you won't get jack. The motherboard sends a signal to the PSU to turn on.

What you are looking for is a 'test psu' one that will turn on without the motherboard. It's a real easy mod to do, I did it with an old 120w purely to test fans and whatnot. Check it out here:

http://www.casemodgod.com/mod_test_psu.htm

Nubius said:
Yeah you do, try plugging in a fan to the PSU without it being plugged into the motherboard and you won't get jack. The motherboard sends a signal to the PSU to turn on.

What you are looking for is a 'test psu' one that will turn on without the motherboard. It's a real easy mod to do, I did it with an old 120w purely to test fans and whatnot. Check it out here:

http://www.casemodgod.com/mod_test_psu.htm

actually, the power supply that i want to use has a switch on it. when i press the switch it turns on. it is a 12pin psu and i tried my 120mm fan on it and it worked without being plugged into the mobo. i will post pictures if you want.

That's right, you said yours was an older AT style huh. Well in the case he's going to use a todays standard ATX PSU he will have to do that mod

I do know that many cases do have the option for a second power supply so by all means it's probably possible to add a second one somehow, although I think that they are more geared towards servers and it probably only works with BTX motherboards, although I'm not sure.

i just threw away one lol (old Acer computer had it). It had a switch with 5 soldering connections. you solder the PSU cord into it and hit the switch and it turns on. should i save the switch? i don't really need it i dont think...

I try and save most computer parts I have now, you never know what you might use in the future for modding or something along those lines

Nubius said:
I try and save most computer parts I have now, you never know what you might use in the future for modding or something along those lines

:runs to trash and saves litte block: :) i got like 10 heatsinks and a few fans i can't use in my drawers...guess it goes in there lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom