So what do you think, good buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

para[android]

Solid State Member
I think I have mental problems because I always get a little too carried away about a major purchase.

I have been looking into getting a new computer for a couple of months. I was super close to getting an Alienware and also looked at building it myself. I ended up finding out that my company has a deal with Dell where we get employee discounts. So, long story short I went with a Dell. My current system is an old Dell (about 7 years!). At that time they were always considered pretty good. Any more you hear some bad things, but it generally seems to be about the customer service and not build quality. So any ways, I want to see what you guys think about what I got and good or bad of deal it was. It was significantly cheaper than the comparable Alienware, and even seemed to be cheaper than the sum of the parts (priced on newegg). So here it is, I paid just under $2400, with a big chunk going to the monitor. Also notice I put a tuner card in it as I plan on also using this as a second TV.

P4 3.4 w/HT (800fsb)
925xe chipset
1gb Dual channel DDR2 RAM @ 533
2005FPW 20.1" widescreen LCD monitor
GeFource 6800 (non-ultra) 256mb PCIe
2x160gb SATA 7200 RAID 0 hdd (320gb total)
Dual drives - DVD-Rom + DVD RW+- 16x
Audigy 2 ZS Sound
Dual TV Tuner

Also, I went ahead and went with MCE as OS for the TV functions. No problems with that right!?

I am looking for a 5.1 speaker set, and bought the Logitech MX Duo wireless keyboard and mouse.

That's the first major brand computer that I have ever seen to have any sort of RAID array...

It does seem like good parts I must admit, but I still think you may have been able to build that PC for less if you really wanted to, excluding the LCD monitor of course.

Yeah, I guess I should also mention it is the XPS Gen 4 system. It might be their first one with a RAID option.

The big cost saver did come with that monitor. I was thinking of getting it regardless of where I got the computer. It is the only widescreen in the price range. The thing is, I got it for $550 getting the whole computer from them, where it is $750 if you buy it on its own.

Yeah, thats pretty good.

The graphics card is kinda weak for the system and if your a gamer the LCD probably isn't the greatest monitor to have.:)

ya you spend about 1000 dollars too much if you woulda built it yourself

but that lcd is really nice 16 ms with great color etc

$1000 gets you some technical support if your not confident in building. Prevents any damage you might have caused if you tried to build it and obviously saves the time and effort (tho some people like that).

I think it was a good purchase, yes pricey - but most pre-mades are.

OK, I think that is the first soap box comment. Good for you. $1000! Come on. Just because I bought a Dell doesn't mean I don't know any thing about computers. I have taken apart and put back together PC's many times. I really have no fear of doing it. I do however have a full time job which includes travel and don't have the time I used to.

You say $1000 less to build. Let's just price that out a bit (keep in mind I am an account):

Mobo----------185
CPU------------280
Case-----------100
Vid Card-------325
HDD's----------200
Memory--------250
DVD Drives----75
Dual Tuner----175
Floppy----------10
Fans------------45
Sound Card---90
OS--------------150
Subtotal-------1,885

Then, let's say best case scenario you get that monitor for $600 (which is 12ms reponse), that would take the total to $2,485. This doesn't even take into account shipping, probably another $100 there if you buy online. Come on, I did all this before I bought the thing. I am sure an extreme bargin hunter could find better prices but it wouldn't add up to any $1000.

Let's be honest here.

To the comment about the vid card. I kind of feel the same way. But the upgrade options were big $$$, and after I looked at the benchmark results I didn't think it was worth it. I am sure I will upgrade it in a coupld years any ways.

you cant compare it like that because dell uses almost no name parts so and intel mobo so its more like this
for a grandtotal of

Even now with your prices where at less than $400 difference with monitor. I still think that's pushing it a bit. Name brand or not you are not finding a dual tv tuner for $60, a mobo with 925xe, pcie and 8 usb2.0 for $80, or 1gb 533 RAM for $150.

If you have links I'll take 'em. I'll buy that stuff just for shits and giggles for those prices.

*edit* and $50 for the case? It is a good looking case with 460 psu

watts dont mean poo i can buy a 500 watt ps for 30 bucks
that case is a cheap case its nothing special
ok think of the crappiest ram on newegg and the dell is prob the same or worse than it..
illl give it to him thats a nice oem pc but its not the best price esp when you take in the fact they use crappy parts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom