westie

Solid State Member
Viewed 4 times

Dell Dimension 4600i

Pentium 2.8ghz

120gb Harddrive

Sapphire 9800pro 256mb

1.5gb ddr400 memory

I have a problem, my harddrive is making strange noises and the PC fails to recognise it 3 times out of ten. I dont have a problem with this, i'm ready to upgrade. However, the copy of XP I have is pre-installed on the damaged harddrive and I do not want to buy a new copy. Can I install the pre-installed XP onto my new harddrive and if so, how?

I have all the original disks supplied from Dell, including the operating system disk.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is it a gold copy or a rescue disk? If it's a gold copy meaning you have the full cd, case with key, then no problems. IF it's a rescue disk, you are SOL and must buy a new one...or a new hard drive from Dell and let them install it for you. Liz

if it's a legit copy, you should have your CD key on a sticker on your case. in that case it is legal for you to use any XP Home CD to install it, as long as you use your key

The problem is, he may not have the XP Home CD to use...if it's a Dell and all he has is the rescue disk like they are giving out THESE days, he's screwed. Liz

On the Operating System Disk it says:-

'Operating System'

then 'Already Installed On Your Computer'

underneath that 'Reinstallation CD'

I seem to have a product key on the side of my tower not sure if its the OS product key but I presume it is?

Yes, the reinstallation CD is the actual operating system. It will not ask you for a product key as per the relationship with dell and microsoft. Nor does it ask you to activate. put the cd in the tray and boot off of it. The install is the same as if you were using a normal xp cd . After you finish the install, you need to install all the drivers. That should be on your resource cd. good luck.

those dell cd's rock, its so easy to reinstall with them on the dell machines.

When I bought a Mesh computer (Mesh being a manufacturer like Dell) I had to reinstall Windows XP, but I had no CDs. I phoned them up and they set me a recovery CD which was the XP installation CD with some Mesh extras...

The key was on a sticker at the back of the case.

Do you have a friend who has the xp disks? if so you can use those disks and the cd key on the side of your pc to install it on the other hard drive I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom