Card cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah but the 6600GT is already more powerful than the 9800 in most aspects so you'd have to OC that 9800 pro up a little before matching the performance, and then you'd be able to OC the 6600GT which would lead you to have the OC the 9800 much further to compensate for the OC of the 6600GT which in turn the GDDR3 memory will still be able to OC further than the GDDR2 memory on the 9800 pro according to most articles and reviews I've read regarding GDDR3 memory.

So in the end I still think the 6600GT would be the wisest choice.

Concerning the power supply, you would need to upgrade the PSU eventually anyway and likes been said you can get one to serve your needs for like $50. The PSU is after all the 'life giver' if you will to the system so why keep updating hardware that could be not getting sufficient power for efficient usage

We overclocked the 9800 Pro and 6600 GT in three of our tests. The 9800 Pro can overclock about 50% higher than the 6600 GT.

These results have nothing to do with the quality of the cards as NVIDIA is very closed to user modification.

Yeah I'm not saying the 9800 can't OC more, but I'm saying you gotta OC it somewhat just to bring it up to par (although it does to really well in some tests and depending on the environment can stay up with the 6600GT but only in some, not all) so with that in mind, say you OC the 9800 pro up 10% that matches the 6600GT...well then you can OC the 6600GT up say 20% then you'd need to OC that 9800PRO up even further. All said and done you'd HAVE to OC the 9800pro much further than the 6600GT just to match it in the end, know what I'm sayin?

the eVga 6600GT overclocks past 600Ultra speeds (on stock cooling), it should outmatch a 9800PRO card even with an aftermarket cooler. The 9800PRO is considered "last generation" and it's getting outperformed fast, i definetly would go with the 6600GT, even if it's not one of the higher overclockers. They can be had for less than $200.

I know what you are saying Nubius lol. Moire likely the 9800PRO can overclock MORE, but it TAKES that overclocking to match the LESS overclock of the 6600GT. With better cooling on the 6600GT it should be able to hit 40-50% overclocks as well, just depends on what kind of cooling you are talking about.

Yeah I wish they'd hurry up and make that Arctic Silencer brand heatsink for the dang 6600GT =/ They got em for the 6800's and whatnot, but wheres the 6600GT dernit!

well just remember you get what you pay for. Pretty dern cheap, but from what everyone says who bought it it's been great for their uses. 18a on the +12v is pretty good and should serve your purposes well

any recomendations? for the psu. (wonders how it went from card cooling to psu) but im greatful for the help

i try not to spend less than $75 on a PSU...the cheapies are definetly not a safe buy. I would really have to disagree on this, 18A is pretty bad for the 12v IMHO (my PSU that came with my case had 18A and after a lil' over a year it's pooping out on me). anything below 20A on any of the rails tells me it's not quality and won't last very long under a hard overclock. for a little more you can get a rock solid PSU if you want...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-182-010&depa=1

incredible amps on all 3 main rails, good looks, lots of power, see if you can afford it.

This has dual 12v rails for added stability for a lil' cheaper price...
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-499&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-153-007&DEPA=0

If you don't mind throwing in that much. That will serve you for a while to come.

Otherwise Id suggest:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=17-159-023&DEPA=0

EDIT: Dang that's a nice PSU you linked there 4W4K3

My main PSU up until this thermaltake was only 15A on the +12v rail. 18a is sufficient for those who don't have insane amounts of fans or drives so I don't really think that that would be an issue, but of course with that rosewill he'll never have to worry about that lol.

This thermaltake has 22a on the +12v rail and I've had 13 fans, 4 HD's, 2 opticals, OC'd CPU, blah blah and it never got close to being taxed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom