RAM - How much is anough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you turn your Page File off?

(I have 512MB RAM so sometimes my page file is sometimes around 700MB so I would need around 2GB of RAM if I shut it off)

I'm just wonder if games would play faster if you had 2GB with PF off.
I think it would be 5x as fast.(when loading)

in virtual memory settings u can turn off paging file--> in system properties search around, u'll find it. i'm wondering the same as u, i don't know if games would run faster or maybe they would run smoother if all required data for lets say one level or map is loaded into ram. maybe 1gb is enough. i don't think i would try turning off page with 512ram. i should try with my 1 gb...

Ok, so can someone explain to me Paging File. What exactly is it? If it makes games run faster, I will turn it off.

paging file is like ram on your hard drive. u add your RAM size(eg. 256mb) and your paging file size(eg. 512mb) to find the amount of memory available to your computer. your computer will use your RAM and paging file for your applications, games. of course u know that RAM is much, much faster than a hard drive. so the more RAM, the less need for the slow paging file on the hard drive. most people are saying 1gb of ram is enough, this amount will give best game performance. don't turn off your paging file unless u have a crazy amount of ram. your system won't go faster, by turning it off with little ram, u will get memory errors...

i was just suggesting for the boys with 1gb of ram into gaming only, to try turning off the paging file to see if 1gb is adequate amount. if it is, we shouldn't memory errors. if we get these errors, then we could possibably benefit from even more ram..

the Paging file is automatically set to 1 1/2 times the amount of your total system RAM

the less paging file you're able to use the faster it is.
for some reason some programs require you to have paging file, so you might want to set about 5MB or something if you have a lot of RAM

Yeah check BlackViper.com that will give you all the right answers :rolleyes:

I think the above idea is that if your hard drive is being accessed to get 'paging RAM' then that would make things slower than just accessing the normal RAM which is quicker...

I don't know if that is true, it sounds logical!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom