Liquid Cooling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueXP-20

Baseband Member
I'm looking into getting a Water Cooling System but I don't know much about them.
How exactly do they cool things like the video card hardrive etc.
Does anybody know any good systems or kits?
ThanX

Basically, your average heat sink works like this. Your processor gets hot, so it transfers heat to the metal in your heatsink, which in turn gets rid of its heat by passing heat to the air. This is rather inefficient because air has a low SPECIFIC HEAT. Specific heat is the amount of energy required to heat (either a gram or a mole, doesn't matter) of a substance 1 degree celcius. This means that ALOT of air must pass around the heat sink for it to work (why people have fans)

The way water cooling works is instead of heat going from processor->sink-> air, is it goes from processor->watercooling block(basically same thing as heatsink)->to WATER. water is better than air because it has a higher SPECIFIC HEAT. This basically translates into better cooling, because when a molecule of water passes over the cooling block, it takes away MUCH more heat than a molecule of air would.

If you dont understand this specific heat stuff, think about this. Would you rather go outside on a day in 0 degree air, or jump into 0 degree water. Probably the air, unless you wanna die of shock, because air cant take the heat from your body as fast as water can.

But to answer your other questions, water cooling cools HDDs and vid cards by either a.) replacing the stock sink
or
b.) Adding a sink ontop of whatever you're cooling.
then, tubes connect all the blocks together, and a pump pumps water thru all the blocks, and usually (always?) there is a device to cool the water

Unfortunately, i dont have the cash for watercooling, so I cannot answer your question about which kits to buy.

I hope I answered your question

The thermaltake bigwater kit is like $150 at www.sidewindercomputers.com and yes all water cooling setups have a radiator with a fan on it that cools the heated water before going back through the CPU water block

lol i just learned specific heat in my science class so i understand it perfectly
an thanks nubius I got some good ideas about what toi buy now
thanks for your help guys

so that means if i water cool i maybe able to overclock easier then if i just used fans. does any one here use it? what parts to it replace?

if you type in bigwater on pricegrabber.com, there are like 3 sites that sell the kit under $120, which is nice. Make sure you do a little research on the companies though to make sure you can trust them. If you can find one you may be able to sneak out with an awesome deal.

well the review on the bigwater I read showed temps like 30C which I get anyway so IMO I don't think that particular set is worth it for my setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom