Laptop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang2009

Baseband Member
I was just wondering if this would be a good laptop for a college student, the only game I play is call of duty, so i think that should be fine. The web address is below, Im not sure how to link it but the computer is a compaq with an amd 3400 + and 1gb ram and an 80gb hard drive. Tell me what you think. Also they have a 3yr warenty for 189 dollars sounds good to me. Thanks in advance.
http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_...h=0:-23542:-33761:-38929:-41420:-41483:873474

Also I dont know if this is possible or if it would void the warrenty but would it be possible later on to upgrade the video card. Thanks

Don't buy from Sam's. They use cheaper parts and take shortcuts to sell it cheaper at a Wal-Mart price. My rule is never buy electronics from Wal-Mart. Get your laptop elsewhere.

Yeah I dont like wal-mart/sams either but this seems to be a good deal, I mean they dont bulid the laptop so I thought this would be safe. Am I right or could they go cheap. Thanks

Even though they slap a company logo on it, if you buy it at Sam's, its made especailly for Wal-Mart so they can sell it at a lower price. Its the reason it appears you are getting such a good deal. And, yeah, thats WAY too cheap for a laptop with those specs. There is definately a catch there. I work at Office Depot and sell these things, so I know how the pricing works.

Sorry to keep bothering you with newbie questions, but what would be the difference between this and say the same computer from best buy or office depot.

cheaper usually = lower quality, unless you're buying from a big rip-off company, like harvey norman which overprices everything (makes you wonder why they tell you "you will find the best prices")

I would recommend something like this without the hard drive or RAM, but get your own to put in so you know it will be good quality.

Corsair 2 x 512MB ddr400 SODIMM (laptop's DIMM's are called SODIMM) $166.50

2.5" Seagate 60GB 5400RPM $130
Seagate make very good drives, and also give a 5 year warranty

Better quality of the display, RAM brand, timings, etc....hard drive brand....and just less problems all around. Believe me, I know electronics from Sam's. I went through 3 DVD players from there in 2 weeks. Lost a computer in less than a year, lost a flat panel in less than 2 years. Its all due to the low quality products they sell.

beedubaya said:
Even though they slap a company logo on it, if you buy it at Sam's, its made especailly for Wal-Mart so they can sell it at a lower price. Its the reason it appears you are getting such a good deal. And, yeah, thats WAY too cheap for a laptop with those specs. There is definately a catch there. I work at Office Depot and sell these things, so I know how the pricing works.
Wal mart and or Sams Club does not make the computer, they just wholesale buy it from compaq. Reason it is sooo cheap is because you have to buy a membership to sams club. thats how they make things cheaper.
Just because it is cheaper dosent mean its not as good as the same thing somewhere else. I think it is a good buy.

Office Depot ripped me off like two months ago. They screwed me on a DVD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom