First attempt to build computer... Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdawg1187

Beta member
Ok... This is my first attempt to build my own computer. I just purchased all the parts from newegg.com. I would like to leave a list of the parts and then get your guys thoughts. The purpose of this computer is to play the new age games (e.g Half Life 2 and Galaxies). Will these parts do the job? Here is a list of the parts that are going into my computer:

Lian- Li bay silver aluminum case

Western digital 250gb 7200RPm sata hard drive

corsair xms extreme memory speed serires, 184 pin 1 gb

asus I915p chipset motherbpard for intel

intel pentium 4 3.40E GHz 800MHz FSB, 1 md L@ cache w/ hyper threading technology

creative labs sound blaster audigy 2

msi nvidia ge force 6800 video card, 256mb ddr, 256-bit, tv out/ dvi, pci-express,

Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply.UL, CSA, TUV, CE Approved. Intel Pentium 4 Compliant

Samsung 16X DVD±RW, Model TS-H552B/WBCH Black, OEM Bulk

What do u guys think and will it work to play new aged games?

Im not to fond of Asus products. I would go with a gigabyte motherboard or even a biostar.

Ram = good
Chip-Nice but could go to a lower speed to save $ like a 3ghz 800fsb chip or even 2.8 800FSB your not going to notice a difference.

nice choice on the video card and the sound card.

PSU does matter! go with a raidmax or antec depending on your budget. buy a raidmax case and it will come with there psu. same as with an antec.

Power Supplies matter in that any lack of power causes poor performance from your hardware and even occasional crashes and reboots.

Your system looks good. Nice powerful CPU (and I am sure people would advise AMD for games) but I would also go with the Intel. Hope all goes well in the building phase!

Power supply does infact matter, you don't think those parts are just powering themselves do you?

Sound card isn't neccesary, but hey, whatever floats your boat. You can get better memory with lower latencies for probably less than the Corsair you've picked out.

As far as your proccesor goes, it's fine, but an AMD 3200+ will totally obliterate the P4 3.0EE at gaming for about the same price I think?

AS far as gaming goes, there is no question that AMD is the better proccesor for the job.

Get a 3200+
Get an Asus SLI
Get dual 6600GT's
Get 2x 120GB in RAID 0
Keep Corsair
You don't need the Audigy 2 ZS unless you have $500 7.1 speakers
(just use onboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom