Windows 98 illegal operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumblebee Tuna

In Runtime
hey, I'm getting an error on Win 98 when it boots. It tells me that there is an illegal operation with windows explorer, so I can't boot windows. I get the screen, but nothing comes up. Is there a way to repair this, without doing a reinstall? I'm scanning for viruses, and spyware from another computer, going to use hijack this as well, any other suggestions?

I would agree that it would be easier to just do a reinstall, but I like to find other ways of doing it instead of that. I've gone through safe mode as well, but i still get the same error

IAM_7154 said:
Its probably less work to reinstall

It's funny cuz it's true

I just had to reinstall windows 98SE on a PC yesterday, 48 meg of ram on a 333mhz AMD really, lags.

go into Dos and into the system.ini file (edit it). Change the shell=explorer.exe to shell=progman.exe and reboot. Should boot to program manager instead of the desktop (kind of like allowing you a recovery option). In there (with the win cd in) you goto run (or open, can't remember but you CAN do this, I've done it before) and then type in sfc. If that doesn't work then its sfc /now, but just use sfc first. This will check the system files. After that, reboot and hopefully that will do it. If this causes a dos loop (keeps booting into dos) then while in Dos rename the autoexec.bat and config.sys to autoexec.123 and config.123 and reboot. See if that works. Try anything else while in program manager that you can think of. Just remember, after doing all this you have to go back into system.ini and change the shell back to shell=explorer.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom