PLEASE let me know! (Windows XP question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

schazz

Solid State Member
building my own computer (Windows XP question)

Hey so I am building a computer in a few days (got parts from newegg) and I have an important question. I have "dell" windows xp pro software from my last computer, a dell laptop. Can I use that XP pro software on my new computer? This software came with the dell so I just don't know if dell changes it in any way so you cannot use it with non-dell computers....

THANKS!!!!

It depends....

If what you have is one of the Blue Dell Recovery CD's, then most likely this won't work. The last time I tried this with a Win2K Dell recovery CD, it did make a check of the system (most likely BIOS check) to be sure it was a dell and when it detected the computer wasn't a Dell it couldn't proceed with the installation.

If on the other hand you have one of the Silver WindowsXP Dell OEM CDs, that should install without a problem.

Good luck!

i used the dell disc on several different computers, packard bell (ok why i dont know i guess just to see if it would take and it did with 64 mb ram and a pentium 1) a NEC Ready 7022 same ram and prssr. and for some reason it never asked for the 25 digit product code when booting from cd rom, but would ask for it if installed from windows a total of 4 different computers that were not dell. the compaq did not for obvious reasons mortified do you work ofr micro soft sounds like your pushing silver discs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom