Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

24/7 Gamer

In Runtime
I have 3 computers in my house all connected by a network, they all run on XP and are all high spec. The other day I got hold of an old computer with the specs below:

Pentium 3 1.0Ghz
128mb SDRam
30Gb HD
Intel Onboard Graphics
Windows ME

Well I wanted to use this computer and add it to the network but I thought if I install XP on it then it would run very very slow especially because XP requires 128mb minimum. So I tried it with just ME on it and it was still pretty slow even after a format.

After a couple of minutes thinking I thought about using Windows 2000 on it which I have never used before. I thought this because I did some searching about it and found some useful reviews that said it was the most stable OS, and it was quick and easy to use.

So I did a format again, installed it and set up all the drivers and software. After using it and playing around for a couple of hours I am very pleased with 2000's performance and useability and would recommend it to all the people with old machines. I say this because it is very stable, loads applications about 4x faster than ME and generally performs near enough as good as XP on my new computers.

I know this operating system was designed specifically for businesses but I have had no problems with it so far and I even played Quake III all night on it with a problem. Everthing is simple to set up and I got the wireless connection up and running in minutes.

Sorry if this post is useless but I thought I would just voice my opinion on it incase any of you ever thought about trying it.

Rob :)

Yup, I've been a 2k fan for about 2 years now. I like it better than XP (I have to use XP at work).

Anywho, good info about the program speedups. :D

yea, ME sucks in every way. 2K was designed for business, xp is no better just more bells and whistles

yup, i've been runnnin' 2k for a quite a while and love it.

i loaded it onto my buddies laptop

p1 233 w/mmx
64 mb ram

it has the sticker sayin' it was designed for 98 and nt, but he's had sooo many problems with 98se it's not even funny, so i figured 2k would "work" cause of the nt design for it.
it runs a little bit slow, but it's stable as hell.
he just wants it to surf, chat and music...so it's all good.

IAM_7154 said:
yea, ME sucks in every way. 2K was designed for business, xp is no better just more bells and whistles

i'v got another buddie with a p2 266 w/mmx 128 mb ram and better hard drive than what i listed above. he used to surf but doesn't have the net anymore but he's never had a problem with it....though he just pretty much has it hooked up to his cd player for music, but even at that, no random crashes or anything...been runnin' it without a format for 3 years now......must be those 1 in a X. *shurgs*

funny, i was a diehard win2k supporter since it came out and swore that i would never go to xp over the years. I had used it numerous times on other peeps pc's and at school so i knew my way around it.........well, thanks to Nubius who twisted my arm and talked me into it and after a lot of dumb questions i installed xp pro w/sp1 and so far i have to admit that all my software runs faster and smoother with one acception: my Litestep desktop shell which gave me probs but i sorted them out after a bit of playing and experimenting......gaming is quicker loading and have no more prob's Alt>Tab'ing out of them.

just my humble experience....

I used 2K for years with no problems at all, games ran well etc etc. But when XP came out i turned.

XP is nicer to use, not as stable, far more annoying etc.

On older systems I still run 2K and if your running 98, 98SE or ME installing 2K will give you a quick upgrade.

I have to admit, I do use XP as my main OS but as the other computer was so old it would just choke under XP so I gave 2000 a try.

It does seem to be the best OS overall but XP still looks the best and is really just a neatened up version of 2000 without the stability.

I just hope that when they bring out Longhorn it will have better stability and is compatible with more hardware and software although thats hardly likely. My opinion on Longhorn is thats its just another way of making more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom