Radeon 9600SE installation troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbike

Solid State Member
I cant seem to get my new graphics card installed. My computer is a Compaq Presario 7000US 1.2 GHZ 640MB RAM. I've tried uninstalling the previous graphics drivers and installing the new ones, then installing the chip and it boots, but doesnt send a signal to my display. I think I need AGP drivers for my mobo, but I cant find anything. My mobo says "PIPELINE-1" all over it, and I think it was made by VIA.

PLEASE HELP im DESPERATE! :mad: :mad:

if you have onboard video, you will have to disable it in BIOS before using your new video card

or if you had a previous Nvidia card, you will have to uninstall the drivers first before putting an ATI card, and vice cersa

It doesnt have onboard video. It has a Nvidia TNT something card that sucks and I uninstalled the drivers for it, installed the ATI ones, and it deosnt display any video.:mad:

oh damm....

the TNT and TNT2 are AGP 2x cards, and a Radeon 9600 SE is an AGP 8x card
since there are no motherboards that support AGP2x as well as AGP 8x, you will need a new motherboard to use it

and if you get a new motherboard you will usually have to get a new CPU and RAM, then do a repair of XP

unless you can afford a new motherboard, CPU and RAM you will have to take the 9600 back because you can't use it in your current computer

:mad: :mad: :mad:
nooooooo
that pisses me off so bad. now my the hayes disc brakes for my bike will have to wait :mad:

cant i just take my old ram and put it in the new mobo? its not that old. i have 2 256mb and 1 measly 128

does the RAM have 2 notches at the bottom?
if it does, then no you can't put your old RAM in

there are 3 main types of RAM people use: SD (older) DDR (current) and DDR2 (going to replace DDR eventually)

SDRAM has 2 notches at the bottom and normally doesn't run more than 133MHZ
DDR RAM has one notch, closer to the middle, and has been heard (but is not common) to go at 600MHZ (or 300x2)

DDR works differently, because it transfers 2 things at a time. PC3200 is said to run at 400MHZ, although it really is 200MHZ and does twice the work as SDRAM would (if it ran at 200MHZ)

you're right its sd ram :(

this is really going to break the bank. i dont even have 100 bucks in the bank at the moment. (im 14)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom