Help Please!!!! Cant Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave789

Beta member
Ok If someone can help me please try. Heres the deal i installed Suse 9.1 on a slave hard drive and it was working fine until tonight when the hard drive started making a scratching noise and short beeps. Then suddenly Linux just freeze so i reboot and boot into Windows Xp and have no problems with beeping or anything (XP is on primary hard drive) i was looking around forums trying to find a solution and i thought i had one then i tried to boot back into linux but it froze at the POST!!! Bios says it cant find either hard drive now! So i took the secondary HDD out and started computer. Bios says it found my primary again but only boots as far as a black screen simarly to the command line saying (GRUB) it wont let me do anything from there how do i get past it or fix this problem!

Well the hard drive you have that was grinding is most likely bad... so what I'm getting is you have the bad hard drive out of your computer now and it won't boot into XP?

yeah exactly the primary is just sending me to the black screen that says just "GRUB" which i know is something to do with linux boot i think but the other hard drive isnt in it that had linux so i dont know whats up. I had a dual boot type thing set up where SUSE would let me choose linux or XP i think it might be messed up any suggestions?

It sounds like for some reason GRUB (linux boot loader) is still the primary loader. Make sure that your primary HDD is set to be booted from first in BIOS.

If it is set to Boot first then (baring in mind that a primary drive is not the same a boot order) you may have to reformat the entire thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom