Temperature woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

freechus9

In Runtime
I just built a new desk for myself with a built in CPU chassis cabinet thing, but the one major problem is heat. I have one case fan sucking in air in my system, and when I shut the door to the cabinet the CPU temp goes to 52-53C at idle. When I open the door and leave it open, it hangs around 46 idle. I was planning on getting another fan to suck out air, but the fan that is sucking in air is on the side and I was planning on putting the other fan in the back. There is one very small hole in the back of the cabinet, so it wont really allow much heat to pass. Any ideas?

in addition to that,..it's better to be sucking air out more than your sucking air in. its just a minor cooling problem,..do as microbell suggested. also clean/arrange the cables...like tuck them at the back or side of the drive bays or something.

ive seen some of those ide and other cables that are not wide but just like a normal power cable and those would probably give better airflow

true! the rounded cables also aid in better airflow inside the case. but if you don't have a window to show the setup,..just grab a tape and bunch the flat ide together,..make it round and make sure you don't fold the cable.

So you have the rig in your sig with only 1 fan? Tell me it aint so!

Best thing to do is pick a direction of air flow. Either front to back or top to bottom. I prefer top to bottom. Hot air rises, just seems the natural way to do things.

Also, pick up a power supply that has an extra fan built in. Your PS can generate a lot of heat, might as well have it work on cooling things off.

what processor do you run on the new machine? Athlon XP 2500+? i have a xp2400+ and it runs 53-55celsius normally. isnt that normal though for amd xp processors? i don't have any case fans running, they make too much noise and personally i dont think case fans do much good unless the case is really small and cramp.

by devlish96:

in addition to that,..it's better to be sucking air out more than your sucking air in. its just a minor cooling problem,..do as microbell suggested. also clean/arrange the cables...like tuck them at the back or side of the drive bays or something.

i heard that it is better to have more intakes than exhausts.

im kinda confused on this issue and dont know the logic behind it.however im leaning on the "more intake is better".

would you mind if i ask for a little explnation on this? :D

im on the safe side.i doing 1:1 ratio of intake:exhaust. :p :p :p

thanks!

thanks,microbell

that is a good explanation.

but Yoshi of the Screensavers suggested that 1:1 is the right ratio.and if it happens that one fan has a higher CFM (am i right?), make it as an intake.

other suggest that it has something to do with the air pressure inside. i forgot how they said it.but the idea behind is to have 1 intake fan more than exhaust ( 2 intakes, 1 exhaust ).

there are so many different ideas that i just decided to stick to 1:1 ratio.

thanks again!

You should compile all the info provided here and put it all together in ONE correction of your setup...

First,, I cannot understand why you would take an ATHLON chip and put it in a case with ONE fan,,,??? Always do your homework will save you in the long run,,,

second,,, Rounded IDE cables are cheap,,, but you can tape them as suggested as is,, gently,, roll them ,, and then electrical tape them in a colour of your choice,, THIS IS A GREAT IDEA IF YOU ARE GOING TO STICK TO YOUR 1:1 Ratio ?????

At least this combination will add flow,,,

Personally,, I am with MB,, 1:2 ratio ,, I have an ATHLON and have Rounded IDE cables,, although shop modded,,, and have 6 fans in my case,, two are BLOWING IN,,both have adjustable Speed controllers,,, 4 are BLOWING OUT,,,

I have my AIR flowing front to back so that the Airstream is Uni directional and not blowing on my legs,, The hot air rises does NOT come into play as the Air Flow is more powerful than the heated air and rise rate,,,

I sit at a beautiful temp of about 42C,, under full load of Splinter Cell and all the O/C'ing in place,,,

Your Best bet is to take all the info and spend the $40-50 bucks on fans,,,, That is unless you are going to upgrade your CPU in a couple of Months??

cheers,

CrashAbbott, you didnt mistake me as the topic starter right?
i dont use AMD chip and certainly i dont have a temp problem.i just added a fan to better my cooling.and asked for further clarification on the issue.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom