Computer Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
I am planning on building a new desktop to replace my two old desktops, 3 & 6 years old which both have dead Mother boards. Both were Compaqs.

I don't really care what the case looks like or anything like that, I just want a system that will meet/ exceed my demands and be as reliable as possible.

My current thinking is to go a little overboard on the power supply and cooling so that I won't have to replace that in a few years when it is time to upgrade.

The main need the computer will need to serve will be geared more towards memory and internet speed as I have gone back to school this past fall to get my MBA and it is not uncommon to have 20 - 30 pages of internet, word, access, excel, etc. open doing research on companies.

The next thing it will need to do well, which should coincide with the previous point would be to have good networking capabilities

The operating system is going to be XP Professional (needs to be to meet the MBA requirements for networking)

As for the rest of the system, thats what I am asking you guys for. I don't have a set price to pay for this thing, but don't want to necessarily buy a lot of uneeded equipment.

I usually don't have time to play many games but, don't want to close out that option altogether when I do have a little time to screw around. About the only thing I do play is RA2 or something of that nature. Haven't really bought a game in the last 5 years so I don't know what type of system requirements there are on games now if I do go out and buy a new game.

As for reccomendations go, reliability, compatability of components, and speed

Thanks in advance for your help

I would sugest intel if you are having that many pages up. and 1gb of ram to suit comfortable with it. graphics, im not too sure, red alert 2 isnt that demanding... but if you had a good graphics card than you could get something like half life 2. so a 6600gt would be a good card. you will want a good psu, as you dont want one of them blowing up. antec makes good psu's. case, most of it is what you like the look of, but want something with good cooling. seagate are known to make reliable hard drives.

This is an idea for just the box, so excluding monitor os keyboard mouse and speakers.
Intel Pentium 4 540J "LGA775 Prescott" 3.2GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail (CP-058-IN)
Abit AG8 3RD Eye (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-055-AB)
GeIL 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5 (GE1GB3200BHDC) (MY-005-GL)
XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT Extreme Gamers Edition 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (PVT43GNDF7) (GX-023-XF)
Samsung TS-H492AWBCH 52x/32x/16x CD-RW/DVD Combo (Black) - OEM (CD-006-SA)
Antec TruePower 550W PSU (CA-002-AN)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 Plus NCQ 160GB ST3160827AS SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-015-SE)
Coolermaster Centurion 5 - Black/Silver (No PSU) (CA-075-CM)

it cost £729.95, so if you brought it from a american site it, as it is cheaper to buy things there, it would cost a bit over $1000

Thanks for the quick reply.

Don't know if you would know or not, but could someone list a few good sites to order from in the US.

Also would there be any misc. parts I would need when I order to ensure that it will all be put together (adapters, clips, etc)?

everyone seems to like www.newegg.com (they don't ship to england :( ). I just like the layout of overclockers.co.uk too.

philips? screw driver, anti static wristband an option is rounded ide cables, as the ribbon ones are like a sail.

asus a8n sli deluxe
amd 939 3200+ 90nm
the rest is fine
that seagate drive is a very fast and reliable drive..

you dont need a sli mobo.. stop reccomending this to people who dont need it.

hey my grandma needs a comp what mobo should i get?

o get a sli and put 2 6800gts

plz guys

MasterJason said:
asus a8n sli deluxe
amd 939 3200+ 90nm
the rest is fine
that seagate drive is a very fast and reliable drive..

wtf why are you recomending an SLI board to him? Expensive, no peformance game (except with running 2 gfx boards), buggy and hard to get.

Asus A8V gets my vote

intel would also be more suitable for him, as he will be running loads of programs at once. and he did say he wasn't a huge gamer, so I don't see much point in him having amd.

When I was pricing out the motherboards on newegg, I noticed that the asus was about $150 more than the intel.

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly. The $150 cheaper intel would suit my needs better than the AMD as far as running many programs go?

And since I haven't really played any new games, I don't know any to ask about, but hypothetically if I got one of the higher system requirement type games out there would it run fine if I went with the Abit AG8 3RD Eye (LGA775) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-055-AB) and Intel Pentium 4 540J "LGA775 Prescott" 3.2GHz (800FSB) with HT Technology - Retail (CP-058-IN) ?

If the intel will run more programs more efficiently, I will probably go with that one anyway, but I just wanted to know as much as I could about the system I was planning on setting up so that I hopefully don't have too many suprises or regrets about purchasing certain components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom