Can't boot computer to do new HD install

Status
Not open for further replies.

doodah12

Solid State Member
I'm trying to do a fresh OS install on my older 2nd system (my kid's)-
PII- 233 MHZ, 128 Ram, 2 G Quantum Bigfoot HD, 20 G WD 200 HD.
Originally this Compaq Presario came with the 2 G HD, and I later added the 20 G HD. It started having many problems recently, so I planned to reformat the drives and reinstall the OS, Windows 98SE, which I had upgraded from the original Windows 95. I was able to format and install the OS on the 2 G drive, when I added the 20 G drive it show up fine in my BIOS, 2G as master,
20 G as slave, the OS won't boot. I figured to format the 20 G then, but can't get the OS to boot. All my BIOS setting seem correct, I even tried using CS setup on the drives, looks correct in BIOS but still won't boot up. I try my 98SE boot disk, but it won't boot up from there either. I can't get into safe mode either. So I then decided I don't need the 2 G HD, get rid of it and install 98SE on the 20G HD. I disconnect the 2G and install the 20G as Master only in different configs., all which show up correct in BIOS. When I try to boot from floppy to format the 20G HD, it won't boot. I've tried everything. Could it be that the computer came originally with Windows 95, and my98SE boot disk won't work? Any ideas?

Are you sure that the jumpers on the drives themselves are set to the correct settings? It could be that they are canceling each other out at POST.

Jumpers appear correct, Master, Slave, correct position on IDE cable, shows up in BIOS as Master, Slave.

First off, try formatting the ONE hard drive that you want formatted in the computer. Leave the second hard drive out altogether for now. Do not have any extra stuff connected that you do not need. And see if it will work with 98. If it doesn't then try 95 again., If that won't work, you have a bigger issue than just the o/s. If it does, THEN add back the second hard drive and see if it boots up. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom