Building An Overclockin' rig 2600+ Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
The athlon XP's cost half as much as the 64's but offer way more than half the performance! I would say though, that 1gb of memory wont do that much better than 512mb on a Athlon XP. Same thing goes with dual channel and an enormous video card. Dont get a geforce 6600gt and up unless you have a tanked p4 or strong Athlon 64! Stick with radeon 9700-9800 pro for now.

i just got a radeon 9800pro 128mb/256bit off of eBay for $163 :D

AMD 64 are way better for gaming Athlon Xp's are old and are outdated there is no point in getting a new Athlon xp system now...Go Amd 64...way better

lol i love hearing how XP's are "outdated"... could someone please tell me something that wont run on a 2600-m at 2.6 gigs?

Firstly a Athlon xp will handel all programs fine..But a athlon 64 will run them faster and be more futurefroof. U say u need to overclock a athlon xp to actually keep the preformance up to par..with amd64..eg 3200+ at stock 2000Mhz..

MasterJason said:
Firstly a Athlon xp will handel all programs fine..But a athlon 64 will run them faster and be more futurefroof. U say u need to overclock a athlon xp to actually keep the preformance up to par..with amd64..eg 3200+ at stock 2000Mhz..

arent you gonna say they need a sli mobo like you do in all your other posts? :p

hey my grandma needs a comp for 1000 bucks

"get a sli mobo"

my point was that an XP will run programs fine, and overclocking (which is easy) will make it just that much better. Why spend 300 on a 64 processor and mb when you can spend around 150-200 for an excellent XP configuration. You can use that extra 150 towards a video card... where as if you only had enough for a 6600 or 9800pro, you could use the extra cash to go for a 6800. Anywayz, i think its better to save now and wait until 64 is really needed and by then think of how much a athlon 643200 would cost... also by then the 3200 will be outdated so you'd end up buying another processor, which you were trying to avoid in the first place! its like buying cloths that you can wear a year later when you grow into them. Just my 2 cents...

that 1gb of memory wont do that much better than 512mb on a Athlon XP. Same thing goes with dual channel and an enormous video card. Dont get a geforce 6600gt and up unless you have a tanked p4 or strong Athlon 64!
Psht dude that's ridiculous. I just got 1gb of some good RAM from my 512mb of kingston, but I plan on overclocking that RAM.

I can guarantee you my XP at 2.5GHz and the RAM at say like 225MHz or DDR450 would outperform a lot of the AMD64's.

Those who say the XP's are outdated and the AMD64's are 'futureproof' and faster aren't fully educated in the power the XP's have to offer. I also plan on getting the 6600GT too and having an XP will in no way effect it.

Granted unless you're overclocking the XP then yeah you're better off with the 64, but if you know what you're doing you can still have a bomb ass machine.

3500+ 64 is what 2.2GHz right? Anyone have that with some Sandra benches at that speed?

The CPU arithmatic and multimedia test. a 2.5GHz XP should beat it in some aspects of the test and it's 100% guaranteed my RAM will beat out whatever RAM you have thanks to it being overclocked although yes the on board memory controller of the AMD64 helps out that system quite a bit.

Not only that, but overclocking really helps you to learn about the system and when I do go 64 it'll be overclocked you can rest assured of that.

Regarding 'future proof' thats just a nice little term for people to use to justify buying the latest and greatest. 64bit OS won't be out until a year or more....therefore the XP is still good in it's 32bit environment...again though I am mostly talking about OC'd XP's not stock as the highest XP stock is 2.2GHz on the 3200+ which clearly a 64 would dominate it.

My main point is, if you know what you're doing Socket A, and XP's are still power houses.

by the time a year goes by even if you had AMD64 chances are you'll be ready for a mobo and CPU upgrade, so why not go cheaper with socket A until the 64bit OS time comes.

And this whole AMD64s are better for gaming is just BS, if the XP is OC'd beyond the 64 then the XP will outperform it, the sandra tests I requested would somewhat adequately prove that.

If you are into OC'ing then XP is still good....even if you don't want to OC, it's still wise to save some money, get an XP, wait the year or so when you'd be ready to upgrade anyway and like AK said you could spend the extra cash you'd have on a 6800GT which is ready NOW unlike the 64's

OCSS3.jpg

There's my sandra arithmatic and multimedia score, although I believe that's on Sandra 2004 not the latest one

I want to see AMD64 benches of a 3500+ which is like 2.2GHz

Obviously once you start getting beyond the 3500+ then it'd easily beat an OC'd XP but very few people have those really expensive processors.

I'll have a RAM screenshot when I get my system all set up again

I think we hit Nubius's soft spot on that one hehe
but thanks for proving my point :)

oh yea BTW Nubius, that 34C is killin me haha... thats rediculous.

Meh, just trying to educate the public :D

I hate hearing how people just jumped on the 64bit bandwagon as soon as it came out and immediately proclaimed the XP's to be completely outdated and useless like it's some overnight change or something.

Yeah the highest XP, the 3200+ stock compared to a stock 64 will perform less unless the 64 is like 1.8GHz or something then it'd have a chance...and this whole 'futureproof' thing is just a load of crap.

Even if I got an AMD64 right now I'd wind up upgrading in a year anyway so I might as well pay a lot cheaper now with 'old' stuff, learn how to OC, get knowledgable to the indepth workings of my computer so that when I do cross to AMD64 I'll be good to go to OC that thing too.

oh yea BTW Nubius, that 34C is killin me haha... thats rediculous.
lol at 2 volts Vcore no less :p BUT that's not full load temp right there. At 2.5GHz it would get down to 28C at idle, but yeah I had an insane amount of fans in that mid tower case of mine.

I got a new case, but I'm waiting for my mobo to hopefully be RMA'd, then I'll have to see what kind of new temps I get, but seeing as how it's a new mobo the diode could read diff for all I know =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom