Upgrade = Downgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

d817b

Beta member
Hey, I just upgraded my powersupply, from a 350Watt system, to a 400Watt system. I also increased my RAM from 512pc3200, to 1 Gig of Pc3200, and added a few fans. However when I started up games like Counter-Strike:Source, my frames dropped from about 50-80 average, to 10-30 average, even when I'm standstill.

I also tried out Aquamark3 to double check that it wasnt just source, and when i used to get 50-70k, now i get 10-20k scores.

I installed everything correctly, and double checked. When i put the ram in, I made sure all of my components were placed back. My power connections are all accounted for and I'm running my OS fine, its just when there is any intense graphical processing is when I run into trouble. I also clean uninstalled my drivers, and re-installed them but with no luck.

The only problem I can see is that i have two different manufactures of RAM running in my comp. However i dont think this is the case because both sticks of ram are compatible with my motherboard, and both are pc3200 DDR RAM, 512.

CURRENT PC SPECS:

MB: P4P800 Delux W/800mghz FSB
CPU: P4 2.4 w/Hyperthreading
RAM: 1 Gig Pc3200
VIDEO: 6800BFG GT OC

Has this happend to anyone, or does anyone have any suggestions? Im kinda stuck in the mud and i've run out of options.

Yep. . . its the ram. I guess its not a good idea to mix different types of ram.

But I was told that as long as the P4P was compatible with that type of ram you could interchange the manufacture as long as it was the same type. . . .

And also, it doesn't seem like ram would lower a frame rate that badly. . . Windows also recognizes it as 1 gig of ram and is running fine with it.

Dang man that sucks, Those numbers are abysmal, didnt know that ram can make that big a difference, thanks for the story, good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom