Why oh why would anyone overclock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chankama

Fully Optimized
Here's a question for you guys. Why do people overclock their computers? Instead of buying a lower end part, spending a lot of money buying cooling solutions, invalidating your warrantees - why not just put a little bit more money (including the money spent on extra fans and water coolers) and get a normal system with the same specs?..

I can understand why you might want to overclock and OLD system. It's crap anyways, so why not try to improve it's performance. But, overclocking a NEW system????!!..

Also, would you REALLY notice the difference??

i think i can speak for everyone when i say this. We overclock because we want to improve the performnce of stock parts. we overclock cause we can. instead of spending another $100 on a cpu, just overclock the cheap one to the expensive one's specs. it saves money. you can also learn alot about the technical stuff about computers.

Chankama said:
Here's a question for you guys. Why do people overclock their computers? Instead of buying a lower end part, spending a lot of money buying cooling solutions, invalidating your warrantees - why not just put a little bit more money (including the money spent on extra fans and water coolers) and get a normal system with the same specs?..

I can understand why you might want to overclock and OLD system. It's crap anyways, so why not try to improve it's performance. But, overclocking a NEW system????!!..

Also, would you REALLY notice the difference??

it's just like doin' up a 429cobra Jet (a mustang engine for the people who arn't into cars).....you don't need the power...but you want more!!!!!

Many people like to benchmark their machines, and the only way to beat out a proccesor at stock speeds is to overclock it.

Also, overclocking increases performance without increasing price, I would much rather spend 50 bucks on a nice heatsink and overclock a few hundred mhz then spend a hundred bucks for the same results.

As far as the warranty goes, this is why you buy OEM.

Hmmm....fairly easy question.

Why would I buy a $600 6800Ultra when I can buy a $400 6800GT and OC it to Ultra speeds?

Why would I buy a $180 3200+ XP when I can spend $80 on an XP-M and get 2.7GHz out of it, when the more than twice as expensive 3200+ XP only hits 2.2GHz? To answer the 'Why dont you overclock the new stuff', well because the new stuff is basically already pushed to it's limits in some instances...the 3200+ XP being one of them. The XP-M has much lower voltages, which results in less heat, which makes it extremely easy to get high speeds. You would probably need water cooling to get a 3200+ XP up to 2.7GHz assuming you could at all, whereas the XP-M can get to 3200+ XP speeds on stock cooling for the most part.

Also when it comes to RAM, you buy high performance for bragging rights, whereas I buy high performance RAM and overclock it do DDR500 from it's normal DDR400 and my machine will waste the floor with yours.

And buy 'you' I don't literally mean you, I use it in a generalized way.

As far as the warranty goes, this is why you buy OEM.
Precisely

But even then, generally you can get away with RMA'ing something even if you fried it, just don't tell em what you did :p

I fried a stick of kingston RAM overclocking it, sent them an RMA request and said 'My RAM caused my machine to reboot all the time, I guess it's broke'

It's all about acting like a newb.

Point is, the real question isn't why would you overclock, it's why WOULDNT you overclock if you can.

You get a bigger indepth knowledge of the PC parts when you have to know exactly how they work.

Yep Nubius hit that rite on its spot. Your not the first person to ask such a question we define. But thats what its all about, spending less money and getting results only seen from much more expensive hardware.

hmm.. interesting responses guys. I guess the main problem I have is with invalidating the warrantees. If the part fries, and unless u are really lucky, you'll have to put up $$ for a replacement. But, I guess if so many ppl overclock so regularly, that doesn't happen often.......

Because we can get stuff to run faster cheaper

And for the 6800 GT and Ultra question

You buy an ultra so you can overclock it faster than an overclocked 6800GT would overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom