Question about Program files and Documents and Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockeyman2

Baseband Member
I just finished formating and reinstalling XP on my system. I made two partitions on the drive. One I intended to have Windows on and the other my programs. When I booted up I noticed that the Documents and Settings file and my Program files are on the D: drive, which I wanted to devote to XP and my C: (which I want to install my programs on and keep my settings and whatnot on) is blank. How can I move the Program Files and Documents and Settings folder to the C: drive and have Windows recognize that it is there so the files that need to go there will?

Is there a registry setting I can edit to change the default destination?

Thank you!

No. when you created your partitions, and you finish partitioningyour second one, you didn't move the highlighted line back up to the C drive when it ask you to install xp (everybody have done this one before as it is real easy to do if you aren't looking for it) Reformat and repartition and make sure you install xp on C.

that said. you should 1 partition your OS and the other your data storage. you can make your second partition be your my document folder

Thanks for your reply. What I'm sayin is that I want Windows to be on the D: and all my programs on C: (including the documents settings stuff, because there is not room on my other partition) but I guess thats not possible. How about not even having a partition? Any disadvantage to that? I have a 160 GB HD I use for my data storage. The 20GB is for programs and OS.

Thanks!

-Nathan

do the oppossite of what I said. when you install program navigate to the C drive. you will have a screwy system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom