Help with cooling fans, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solid State Member
i have 3 fans in my system one on the left, top, and back. they all are taking air from inside the system and blowing it out. should any of them be taking air from the outside? help?

A general rule is you should have the front fans sucking air in and the ones in the back blowing air out.

Here is an example(got to love MS paint)

xaser-II-inside2.jpg

Fans 1, 2, and 3 suck air in, while the Power Supply and fans 4 and 5 blow air out. This is the way to get optimal airflow. I used a Xaser II as the example, but you you can pretty much do the same with any case.

what if i have no fans on the front (it isin't possible), i only have one on the top, side, back. which one should i turn around?

I'd say turn the top and side fans around. That way you have two fans sucking air in, and the Power Supply and the other fan blowing air out.l

id say first, you may want to invest in another fan if it is possible to mount one in the front of your case.. their cheap. but if you cant get another, turn the side one around, assuming that it is the fan closest to the bottom, it will also provide best cold airflow to cpu id think.

but if you cant get another, turn the side one around, assuming that it is the fan closest to the bottom, it will also provide best cold airflow to cpu id think.
While getting air to the CPU would be nice, chances are the fan on the side is probably too low to blow air on the CPU but rather it was put there to blow air on the Video Card. Also, just turning one fan around won't help too much. because you have the three fans try to blow air out but only one is sucking it in. It's basically bottlenecking and slowing down air flow, but when you have two fans sucking in and two blowing out, you get constant air flow rather than waiting for the one lone fan to get cool air in.

what is needed is to get anouther fan to blow at the cpu, and turn the other side one around. It is always better to have more fans blowing air out than have more blowing air in.

atleast turn the side fan around though.

its true about the bottle-neck, but rather than increasing pressure within the case, causing temps to rise by having more fans pushing air in than what is pulling it out, you should have one blowing the colder air in, while having the two fans higher in the case ( back, and top) pulling the hot air out of the case. for optimal air flow, a fourth fan also pushing more air into the case would help quite a bit.

more fans pushing air in than what is pulling it out
It wouldn't be sucking more in than it can blow out. The top and left would be sucking air in, and the back and Power Supply would be blowing it out. Two in, Two out.

thanks guys, but one more thing though. my powersupply has one fan blowing out + another one that actualy blows are into the case from the powersupply itself. this fan is right above the cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom