High CPU temperatures reaching to over 60 and overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazlunatic

In Runtime
When I first got my new computer, my fan was REALLY loud because it ran at 4400 RPM to cool the 60 C CPU.

I got a 2500 rpm double ball bearing case fan and the RPM dropped a thousand or two.

The first week and a half, everything was fine, and I left the computer overnight for a download, the next day, my CPU monitor would say that the CPU was overheating during an hour's session of games. I thought it was normal so shut it down and let it warm up.

But on the second week, it's happening a lot now. I turn on my computer at 4 and turn it off at 12 or 1 at night. I do homework, IM, and play at least 1-2 hours of games sometimes, counter-strike, a low CPU power consuming game.

Why does the CPU reach temperatures greater than 70 C at least every night. And I set the Q fan to make sure the CPU stays below 53 C!

It is an intel Pentium 4 3.2 GhZ. Model 550 in other words which mean the same thing with an Asus P5GD1.

Can anyone help?

Are you going by the onboard probe temp reading or another source? For instance, I have a Harcano cooling monitor on my system and I have an "external" or non-attached temperature probe that is attached to my CPU. I find that those temps fluctuate from the reading on the motherboard reading.

It could be that your motherboard probe is bad, or it could be that you actually have a cooling problem. When the PC says that it is overheating, do you get a lot of artifacts and / or system instability?

Also, is this a self-build or an OEM PC?

A warning comes up from the Program Motherboard monitoring 5, or MBM 5 saying the temperature has exceeded 70 C. The program causes the computer to make beeping sounds continuosly unless I choose to either ignore it, or turn off computer

Arctic Silver 5, it's a thermal grease that you apply to the CPU which helps lower temperatures.

rofl, I thought you were being mean and said ass
lol that's funny man. I can easily see how you could see that at first glance hehe

here's instructions for arctic silver 5:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

Heres the page that has the instructions for their other forms of paste,

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

but AS5 is the best, but just make sure you read their application instructions thoroughly before attempting it if you're not familiar with applying paste yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom