MAC vs PC - What do you Prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mac_mogul said:
Oh goodness...

Macs are WAY better than PC's because of their stability. If your computer isn't allowing you to do anything, what good is it? Mac's are better at graphics work i.e. photoshop, illustrator, maya, etc... Macs have better standard equipment i.e. Nvidia and ATI cards, High quality monitors (built in or not) And Macs have more software tailored just for macs.

PCs, are way better than macs due to their compatability. das about it...

Macs are worse than pcs due to their lack of compatability, however, Mac OS X "panther" is attempting to solve that by coming loaded with more drivers and such. Macs are harder(nearly impossible) to modify. And sometimes, even though i'm against taking your computer apart and messing with it, mods can do wonders fer yer health. Macs also cost alot more, and i beleive this is the biggest reason of all that more people don't have them. Their philosophy is why buy $6,000 worth of computer equippment that's just gonna be bested in three months when I can build a computer with the same stats for less than half of that?

It's all about quality

And finally, PCs are worse than Macs because they freeze. Often. More than I would expect from something I payed cash money for. And, the PC world is full of third part hardware/software and that is good to a point. But not everything works the way it's supposed to. i.e. recently, i bought a 512mb keychain flash media doohicky. And when I tried to move pictures from my computer to the Yearbook computer, I got an error message saying that the media card was not compatible with all versions of win98. How many are there? I thought there was only one. And, face it. More people use PC's for games and entertainment than anything else.

In my opinion, computers were designed for working. The first computer was not built to play pong. It was a calculator that just happened to take up an entire room. But it was still a calculator. They used it for working purposes.

So this is why I choose to use a Mac.

-end my 2nd rant-

You obviously have very little experience with PCs with good software i.e. Win2000 and XP. They never freeze or crash and are really stable. You're dealing with obsolete technology (Win98 is almost 6 years old!). As for hardware, PCs have Macs beat due to the choices you have. For programs and apps, that's a preference choice, so I won't comment. I choose PC.

i have heard macs are better suited for graphics and video editting but i cannot understand why. from my vast experience with graphics editting on a pc i dont see how a mac could top it. the price difference and compatability is too steep. if this was a contest, macs would never stand a chance. plus you guys forgot the biggest factor: macs look really ugly. why do they must be neon translucent? ................so it can double as a nite light?

The age old question. Mac's vs. PC's.

The real question is Mac's vs. Window's PC's. I'll take a x86 PC running Linux over a Mac anyday if all your looking for is stability.

But that's not all we look for. We want stability, ease of use, all around software integration and cost effectiveness. So that being the case, I'm a PC guy. My reasons are this:

MS Windows is the most familiar OS on the market. It's what most school's use, most government institutions and comes pre-loaded on most new PC's. And they keep the same basic features from one version to the next.

Cost. I can build a top of the line PC for half what a G5 costs. And with all that money I save I can upgrade it in a year and still be on top of my PC game. Mac's are a pain to upgrade because parts arn't as readily available as PC parts. So the new G5 may be faster then any PC right now, but technology leaps rather far, rather quickly. Will my $3000 G5 be the fastest in 2 months? Probably not.

Software integration. I love video/photo editing as much as the next guy. I play with Photoshop and do some video editing, but I don't do it for a living. So do I want to spend all that money on a system that doesn't have crap for games or some of the other "make life easier" programs that I have come to adore? No.

"Eye candy". You have car guys and you have computer guys. We both love to make our rigs look nice. Weather it's putting in the fans with the lights, rounded cables, nice windows or using a different shell in Windows, it's all left to your imagination. Overclock? Sure! If you blow up that 2600 Barton you can always throw in a 1 gig XP to hold you over till you can scrap up the cash. Try that with your Mac. Blow up that CPU and you're at the mercy of the Gods on finding a replacement. And finding one that doesn't cost as much as a budget PC!

Not to mention the little things. It seems everything is PC compatible these days. Watches that hold your contacts, PDA's, Cell Phones. Heck, there are even glasses that you can wear outside and watch movies on them if you have a PC compatible device.

Mac's? They have the Ipod. But now so does PC.

So, if I had 3 or 4 grand to spend on whatever I want and I already had it all? Sure, give me a Mac. But as long as I have to work for my money, I'm sticking with PC.

Originally posted by mac_mogul
Oh goodness...

Macs are WAY better than PC's because of their stability. If your computer isn't allowing you to do anything, what good is it?

my pc allows me to do 20x more stuff than i can do on a mac, and i have used XP and 2k about 50x as long as Mac OSX, but yet i have crashed mac OSX 100x more than XP or 2k, now, OSX is more stable than OS9, but it is not more stable than XP or 2K so saying that OSX is "more stable" is a fallacy

Mac's are better at graphics work i.e. photoshop, illustrator, maya, etc...

ill give you that, Macs do have more graphic software than PCs, but most of that software eventually makes it to PC, and not every1 in the world only does graphics with their computers (most people i know that do graphics use Macs for that and that only, they have PCs for everything else) why have a computer that costs twice as much, but is only good for 1 thing?

Macs have better standard equipment i.e. Nvidia and ATI cards, High quality monitors (built in or not)

so youre saying that pcs dont come with Nvidia or ATI graphics cards? rofl this is so funny, have you ever heard of Nvidia's partner company, ALIENWARE? they macs PCs and come standard with things like RAID or SCSI hard drives, Nvidia graphics cards, and all of the other latest technology, also check out www.vprmatrix.com this is the place that built my last PC i bought from a store, and they almost all come with Nvidia graphics cards and sound blaster audigy sound cards

And Macs have more software tailored just for macs.

here youre saying that macs have more software for macs, wow, thats great, PCs have 50x more software available than Macs do, any software arguement in favor of macs is crap, because

1) its more expensive for macs
2) it takes longer to come out for mac
3) most companies dont even release software for macs, as they only hold 10% of the market share

PCs, are way better than macs due to their compatability. das about it...

Macs are worse than pcs due to their lack of compatability, however, Mac OS X "panther" is attempting to solve that by coming loaded with more drivers and such.

who wants a computer that most hardware wont work with? i thought you said Macs have better equipment?

Macs are harder(nearly impossible) to modify. And sometimes, even though i'm against taking your computer apart and messing with it, mods can do wonders fer yer health. Macs also cost alot more, and i beleive this is the biggest reason of all that more people don't have them. Their philosophy is why buy $6,000 worth of computer equippment that's just gonna be bested in three months when I can build a computer with the same stats for less than half of that?

exactly, why waste all that money on something that doenst even have much software available for it? and is not even worth it to upgrade?

It's all about quality

thats why most people go with PCs

And finally, PCs are worse than Macs because they freeze. Often. More than I would expect from something I payed cash money for.

not true, i use my PC for at least 7 hours every day (i do my school work on my PC) and i have yet to lock it up since i installed my new OS (XP PRO), and that was over 6 months ago, the reason people freeze up their computers is because they try and run win XP with 128MB of RAM or something, the reason most peoples PCs freeze is beacuse they are running with too slow of a system, if you have the proper hardware and keep your machine running good (ie: defrag, virus scan, ad-aware, personal tweaks) then it will be fine, and youll never have those problems and with windows, you can set up an event scheduler to make it do that stuff automatically at night (mine does a virus scan every night and a defrag every thursday night at 1:55 am, followed by a restart)

And, the PC world is full of third part hardware/software and that is good to a point.

it is always good to have a lot to choose from, and the more competition there is, the more prices go down

But not everything works the way it's supposed to. i.e. recently, i bought a 512mb keychain flash media doohicky. And when I tried to move pictures from my computer to the Yearbook computer, I got an error message saying that the media card was not compatible with all versions of win98. How many are there? I thought there was only one.

ever heard of WIN98SE? (2nd edition), all you have to do is get an update, and youll take care of that problem

And, face it. More people use PC's for games and entertainment than anything else.

and word processing, and email, and CAD, and bookeeping, and call centers, and pretty much everything else except for graphics, have you ever seen a call center where they use Macs? a Walmart that uses an Mac system? nope, they are all running win 2k or XP, on PCs, why? because they are more stable

In my opinion, computers were designed for working. The first computer was not built to play pong. It was a calculator that just happened to take up an entire room. But it was still a calculator. They used it for working purposes.

So this is why I choose to use a Mac.

-end my 2nd rant-

saying that Macs are for work and PCs are for play is just laughable, how many businesses (outside of the graphics industry) do you think use Macs? not many, why? because of software availability, stability and support, i had to call Apple the other day, because our Mac server was down (not a good thing) and i was on hold for 45 minutes waiting for someone i could tell that i need a new motherboard becuase the onboard gigabit NIC went out, on the other hand, i had a hard drive fail on a Dell PC and it took less than 5 minutes to get it on the way, and most of that time was beacuse i had to give them a bunch of numbers and such, i was never put on hold at all, with our dell servers, we have a 10 minute guaruntee, that we will never have to be waiting on hold for longer than 10 min (time=money) with apple, who knows, it could be days, lol

atbear said:
You obviously have very little experience with PCs with good software i.e. Win2000 and XP. They never freeze or crash and are really stable. You're dealing with obsolete technology (Win98 is almost 6 years old!). As for hardware, PCs have Macs beat due to the choices you have. For programs and apps, that's a preference choice, so I won't comment. I choose PC.

First of all, I DO have experience with PC's. I'm around them everyday and that is why I hate my life. But is '98 really obsolete? There are more people using 98 than XP! And there are people STILL using '95!! So to say that '98 is obsolete, is an incorrect statement. And I have dealt with XP and it is a vast improvement from previous Windows, but it still freezes, it still does strange things that are un explainable, and, what's this? It was just attacked by a simple virus that I didn't even have to worry about!

So, don't just attack me for being different. I know what I'm saying. You on the other hand have most deffinitely never used(and if you have used one, you've never owned one) a Mac.

mac_mogul said:
You on the other hand have most deffinitely never used(and if you have used one, you've never owned one) a Mac.

I agree man. Most PC users havent even used a mac, let alone owned one recently. They comment on a topic they have no idea about. They say something sucks, though theyve never used it. Its like me saying China is a dirty country, even though Ive never been there (no offense intended to any Chinese people). I would get told off by people; having no first hand knowledge of something does not give me the right to comment on that something.

I would have to say that Mac users are more egaltarian than PC users are. I know many mac users who own both PCs and Macs, or have much experience on a PC (from work, prolonged use, etc. ) to validate any comment they make concerning it. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a PC using friend of mine that wants to switch to Mac. They say macs "suck", but they either have never used one or used overly networked school, 350MHz iMacs with 128MB of RAM that would be more productive if they were hurled off the side of a building. Those macs do not represent the current Apple computer line up (they dont even run OSX, for God's sake!) at all and people should not base their opinions on oudated hardware and software.

I wish people would actually form opinions of something based off of personal experience, not personal preference towards something you have no knowledge of.

mac_mogul said:
First of all, I DO have experience with PC's. I'm around them everyday and that is why I hate my life. But is '98 really obsolete? There are more people using 98 than XP! And there are people STILL using '95!! So to say that '98 is obsolete, is an incorrect statement. And I have dealt with XP and it is a vast improvement from previous Windows, but it still freezes, it still does strange things that are un explainable, and, what's this? It was just attacked by a simple virus that I didn't even have to worry about!

So, don't just attack me for being different. I know what I'm saying. You on the other hand have most deffinitely never used(and if you have used one, you've never owned one) a Mac.

Yes, OBSOLETE. Look up the definition and you'll see that it's true. And, BTW I own a OS9 Mac iBook and an OSX Mac PowerBook. OS9 crashes ALL THE TIME. OSX has not crashed yet. I've had the OSX for about 3 months. I also have a Win2000 Pro desktop- NEVER CRASHED IN 4 YEARS.

stormy78 said:
I think it's funny as hell how mac users have egos the size of the san andreas fault

I have a relatively small ego... I have socialization problems and really nothing to show off, in my opinion. There is a difference, though, between having a large ego and being passionate about something.

I own plenty of PCS, and then i tried a MAC, I have crashed the MAC more than I have crashed 5 windows machines...and im not joking or being biased...Windows XP has only ctrashed on me once for my home computer...and that was just a lockup...I cant even think of multi-tasking with a MAC because it just doesnt work...and what is the point of having a computer if it wont multi-task???

SO, this being said...IM PRO XP, PRO PCS, and I dislike MACS.

thats based on my experience with macs, and i have worked with plenty of macs, i just own 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom