Via processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

computer_man

Solid State Member
I just recently learned about Via processors. They use less power and run cooler than other processors. It only makes sense that this will lead to longer system and battery life for laptop computer systems. Via i belive is also makeing lead free motherboards and other more earth friendly componets. I learned of this company at http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors I was wondering if anybody else has had any experience with them or heard about them.

ya, all i have had so far is AMD Athlon, that is in my desktop pc witch seems to do an outstanding Job, but i did just order a laptop with a Via C3 1Ghz processor. I will give it a try and see what happens. I have always liked AMD's the best so so far though.

Well the only thing I know about VIA processors is that they arenÂ’t very fast. The VIA C3 1GHz is slower than a Pentium 3 500MHz but obviously the VIA processor would run a lot cooler.

Chipset wise with AMD processors I would never buy a motherboard with a VIA chipset. VIA just simply sucks for that platform. In my opinion NVIDIA rules in the chipset market for AMD motherboards. I guess VIA would be the best though for Intel motherboards as IÂ’m pretty sure that NVIDIA doesnÂ’t offer a chipset for Intel motherboards.

One thing i dont want though is something that will produce alot of heat and drain my battery rather quickly. the company that sold this computer claims that this system will still work well with games and dvd playing and burning. I have had some tell me that they are fairly quick and others tell me they are so slow. Might depend on the way the system is setup. This computer though will not be connected to the internet. Im also not looking for a speed deman. just so it can handle low profile useage. Im sure to eventually Via will come out with faster low power processors. Below is a list of what my laptop has.

14.1 inch TFT LCD Monitor
1 Ghz Via C3 processor
DVD/CD-RW combo drive
256 Mb DDR memory
40 GB Harddrive
32 mb shared video Ram
sound card
2 built in stereo speakers
4 usb ports
56Kbps modem
10/100 network card
microsoft windows home edition
Ac adapter and manual

basically what this system is for is word perfect,studying, typing stories. Or playing low end computer games and movies. Thats all i want it for but if it isn't enough i can upgrade it later. Im not looking for a system that is the most powerful and fastest. just so it has the power for the basic things i do. It does'nt have to be a speed deman with it. I will take quality over performance anyday and after reading and checking into things with Via, I like the way this company does buisness. I have my desktop pc for the internet and more major stuff.:)

I think the laptop I have comming should work well for my need's. Thankyou to any who reply with there honest opinions on the matter. Happy computing!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom