Need Help With Computer Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibitzer

Solid State Member
I am building a computer, and i think i have all of the major parts selected.

For Case, i have This

For DVD-ROM, i have this

For DVD-Burner, i have this

For CPU fan + heat sink i have this

For a hard drive, i have this

For memory, i have this

For a MOBO, i have this

For a CPU, i have this

For a Video Card, i havethis

Is there anything else that i need to order? Do i need more fans? Also, my parents want to know what makes this computer so much better than a 300 dollar computer available from dell, any help with that one?

Stock heatsinks aren't always the greatest though, and the Venus 12 is a great heatsink.

Your parts look pretty good, you can go with cheaper memory that will work just as well if not better than the corsair, and you can upgrade to a 3000+ or 3200+ for not much more if you want a bit of a performance boast.

You can tell your parents that Dell generally sticks in low quality, no name parts, slaps their name on it, and sells it ridiculously overpriced. They're customer support is terrible, their hardware is incredibly hard to upgrade, personally building a computer will allow you to put money into exactly what you need, and building your own will have better, cheaper parts than perform better than any Dell.

Tell your parents that dell cuts all corners, and builds their PC's to look good in specs (eg 3 ghz chip) but really dont peform that well.

I heard that the Corsair XMS is one of the best out there, if i get another brand of memory will it affect the performance that much? Also, what do will this computer be able to do, i only need it as an entertainment center, im not a hardcore gamer and i only need it to play games like halo at medium settings, is this good enough for that?

corsair xms, ocz, mostly anything with a lifetime warrenty and a low latency is good

umm...just tell them it;s like this:

"would you rather have a Geo Tracker slow beat up car, or a brand new 2005 Mercedes with sooped up engine, racing tires, body kit, lowered body, exhaust upgrade...etc."

It will perform 50X better than any Dell system, ESPECIALLY a $300 one. Even the $5000 Dell computers would have a hard time keeping up at stock speeds.

4W4K3 said:

It will perform 50X better than any Dell system, ESPECIALLY a $300 one. Even the $5000 Dell computers would have a hard time keeping up at stock speeds.

I agree with you there...my damn Dell has a 2.56 GHz P4...and its really like a 2.4.

oh..and don't go with the OEM's...they dont come with eveything a retail package does, not even the box it comes in...you would be better off going with the few extra bucks spent. It would help instead of hurt in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom