System Idle Process randomly Jumps to 100%...slows and freezes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockeyman2

Baseband Member
Just recently my System Idle Process will jump to 100% and the computer will slow down or freeze. This happens mainly at boot up, but sometimes just when I am normally using the computer. Also, when I shut down or restart the PC it freezes on the Windows is shutting down screen for along time before finally shutting down, sometimes I have to manually shut it down with the button on the PC.

I am running Windows XP, 1.7 Ghz Pentium 4, 512 MB memory. I usually have about 24 tasks running at once. 250-400 Commit Charge. Any ideas on what the problem could be? If you need any more info please let me know.

I have scanned for viruses, spyware, and ran HiJack This. I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!

The system idle process is basically to show you how much resources you have.

You've probably got a bunch of registry problems.. download ccleaner (it's free) and run the registry fixer, see if this helps out.

Thank you for the reply. I restored the registry to my backup which was about a week old, it didn't help. I tried a Windows XP repair installation, it did not help either. I have CCleaner and have ran it. No results there either.

Any more suggestions?

start, run, Type Msconfig

Uncheck all of those unneeded processes runnning in the background except for your antivirus or email retreiver

Same exact thing happend to me when I use K-Lite. All I have to do is either rebbot the system or just wait it out till it starts to respond again.

It is probably your explorer.exe process that is giving you hassels; have you scanned for spyware/adware and virusses? Can you post a list of all the processes running? Maybe you have a trojan or something, but i doubt it very much. Most new ones hide themselves anyway.

rockeyman2 said:
Just recently my System Idle Process will jump to 100% and the computer will slow down or freeze. This happens mainly at boot up, but sometimes just when I am normally using the computer. Also, when I shut down or restart the PC it freezes on the Windows is shutting down screen for along time before finally shutting down, sometimes I have to manually shut it down with the button on the PC.

I am running Windows XP, 1.7 Ghz Pentium 4, 512 MB memory. I usually have about 24 tasks running at once. 250-400 Commit Charge. Any ideas on what the problem could be? If you need any more info please let me know.

I have scanned for viruses, spyware, and ran HiJack This. I would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!

I have 28 processes. and a commit charge or page file use of 205/1482. And the system idle is 97-99 all of the time for me.
It's normal. I know I have no spyware and or viruses.
I use firefox, bazooka scanner, and norton antivirus corporate.

But I dont know why its freezing on you.

Thanks for all your advice guys. This morning I went to use the computer and it would get to the desktop (only the image....no Icons or start menu) and would stay there. It took about 5 minutes to even get that far. I just decided to format and reinstall Windows. Now everything is good. I just want to know why it did that.

I had scanned for viruses and spyware with Trend Micro Internet Securities and also for spyware with Spybot S&D and Adaware SE. I also scanned with HiJack this which found nothing suspicious. I don't use K-lite. I also tried booting in diagnostic startup mode, which helped alittle. It would still take along time to boot and shut down and hang up on the startup/shutdown screens.

I don't know what it was.

Thanks alot for your replies!

-Nathan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom