Anybody OC a P4 3.0HT with 800FSB yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atbear

Solid State Member
Has anybody overclocked a 3.0GHz P4 w/HT on the new 800FSB 865 chipset? How far do you think you could take it with stock cooling and it still be totally safe? Would it go all the way up to 3.2GHz like the fastest chip with no problems/trouble? Also, after OC'ing does the computer/WinXP recognize that it's running at 3.2GHz, or does it just recognize it being at 3.0GHz and you get the benefits.....? Thanks- never OC'd before....

Maximum PC magazine got that P4 model up to about 3.53GHz on water cooling, Im sure it could go to about 3.2 or 3.3 GHz on stock cooling.

You'll be able to take your 3ghz to 3.2 easily. My 2.8C goes to 3.25 without breaking a sweat, and that was even before I replaced the thermal tape with paste :p

Just take it a step at a time, increase the FSB a little bit, and make sure it POSTs, then take it a little bit higher. You'll be running at 3.2ghz in no time :) As for your question about XP recognizing it as 3.2ghz, it'll tell you it's a P4 3.0ghz running at 3.2ghz. So you'll be able to tell it's originally a 3.0ghz but it's overclocked to 3.2ghz. Hope that helps :D

? said:
You'll be able to take your 3ghz to 3.2 easily. My 2.8C goes to 3.25 without breaking a sweat, and that was even before I replaced the thermal tape with paste :p

Just take it a step at a time, increase the FSB a little bit, and make sure it POSTs, then take it a little bit higher. You'll be running at 3.2ghz in no time :) As for your question about XP recognizing it as 3.2ghz, it'll tell you it's a P4 3.0ghz running at 3.2ghz. So you'll be able to tell it's originally a 3.0ghz but it's overclocked to 3.2ghz. Hope that helps :D

I know OC'ing always comes with risk, and should only be done if you're willing to accept the consequences...... that said, would you do this in a laptop? My laptop has a 3.0C 800FSB i865 P4.... it runs great at 3.0, and there are some out with the 3.2 now, and I'd like to have the latest/greatest.... would you do it, or would it burn up? Thanks!

Generally laptops are designed in a way that they are able to dissipate the amount of heat generated by the specific processor they are using. Usually this doesn't leave very much, if any, room for overclocking. Basically it comes down to "do it at your own risk" but if it were me, I'd settle for second best. Since your brand new laptop probably cost you an arm and a leg, it's probably not worth risking damage to it just to gain a few extra mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom