How to hook up a hard drive and dvd drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I know the standard way to hook up a hard drive is to hook it up to #1 and the dvd to #2. I have a hard drive and 2 dvd drives. I talked to someone and they said the fastest way for the setup to work is to set the hard drive to #1 as master and the dvd rom to #1 as slave. Then hook up the dvd rw to #2 as master. What is your take on this? What does it do for the computer? Thanks.

I didn't mean it that way. Sorry, but I meant I hope he would know something. Just want to know why he would say that?

Well, Giga-Byte tech probably has some worth to it since they manuf' the boards they're talking about, instead of just being some dumb@ss WorstBuy techies.

...sorry...

Anyway, the performance is negligable at best, but if you can, like willsko87 said, connect one drive to one cable, and put the other drive on the other cable. If that doesn't fit your situation, then you have to make a decision.

1. If you have a strong computer, it doesn't matter which connector on the cable you put the drives on.
2. If you have a slow computer, and are a DVD fanatic, put the DVD drive on the end connector. Otherwise, put the HDD on the end connector.
3. Either way, your HDD needs to be master and your DVD a slave.

If you put them on their own seperate cables, you can probably set them both as master. This depends on how your mobo operates its IDE controller. Read the doco to find out.

if you are using IDE, the fastest speed you will attain on one cable is equal to the slowest device. therefore you would want to put two HD's of equal speed and capabilities on one cable and the (typically) slower DVD roms or CD roms on another cable.

to be totally honest, it doesn't matter. chances are you won't know the speed of the device or where to look for it, and wouldn't notice any dif. in the speed with which your computer operates, unless you were taking benchmarks, which i don't see why you would, unless you were curiouse and had some free time.

~KB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom