low wireless signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgray

In Runtime
i have a linksys wrt54g router and wmpg54 wireless card. when i first set them up(two desktop pcs in separate rooms about 20 ft. apart) all was fine. my signal strength was always good or very good. lately its been very low all the time. i lose my internet connection at times(broadband cable) and get very slow downloads and sometime freezes. nothing has changed since original setup. any suggestions on signal increase? i've only had it set up for 1 week.

I think you should try physically moving your router or the computer. You should not have to move them very far. When I tried this with my setup I got a massive increase in signal strength just by moving the computer a few inches. This may or may not help you.

Some other ideas....

Change the channel you're using, sometimes the channel can interfere with other wireless networks in your area, stereo equipment, cordless phones etc. This can work wonders as many people just open the box and plug these in, most don't change from the default channels. Then you have numerous networks overlapping one another trying to transmit and receive on the same network...... not good practice.

moving the router to the other side of the pc desk and changing the direction of antenna upgraded the signal from very low to very good and sometimes even to excellent. thanks. for once a very simple solution and quick results,

Make sure no other antennas are near, as sometimes they can interfere. (Omnidirectional antennas can be changed in direction by other antennas, and vice versa [i think])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom