Antec TrueControl 550 W Power Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuskatappaja

In Runtime
Well I have it, but after an year of intense use (it has 3 years warranty) it's fan started to make loud noise, even when set to minimum..
(I can control the fan speed, I think that's where the name TrueControl comes)
Does anybody else have this problem?
Is this a sign that I should send this to where I bought it from and get a new one?
(I'll hate to think I could'nt use my computer while waiting for it though :( )

the thing about fans....

is they're on ball bearings and this is actually what tends to wear out long before the PSU itself. Is your fan clean? Could dust buildup be wearing it down creating the noise? If you have a 3 year warranty on the supply, call in a trouble ticket on it.... get at least the fan replaced if not the full unit itself. Don't tell them you've put it through "intense" use or they may not help you at all. Depending upon the manufacturer, some will send you a replacement part, and you send them the broken equipment back in the same box. Others like to do an RMA process where you have to send yours to them for 6-8 weeks. I'd just speak to them and explain how this is the PSU for a mission critical server that you're trying to be proactive by solving this problem. Of course you're a 24-7 shop, and can only have minimal downtime.....ever!!

Moral of the story: If you've got a 3yr warranty, use it!!! The guy next to you probably only got a 90 day warranty :p

I have the antec truepower 550w psu. I have had it for four months with no problems. It is the best psu I have ever had. It is very quiet and automaticaly lowers the fan rpm when the case is cooler, and the fans that are on the fan only molex channel. I have never had any problems with antec. I have an old antec 400w psu that has lasted for many years of constant use.

I would suggest using the 3yr warente and get a new psu. But first try cleaning it

Clean the fans and fan-bearings. If they're fluid berrings, send it back. If they're sleeve berrings, you're doomed. If they're ball-berrings, blast them with air and you should be okay. If not, get a new one.

The last thing you want is an overheating PSU full of dust or with a jammed motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom