Wiring, modding, startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
Just finished my first build. Everything went quite smoothly. As usual it hasn't take long for me to think about making it better. The first thing I will do is buy a decent power supply to replace the cheapo that came with the case. I want to overclock also which will be fairly easy cause my BIOS enables me to do it from there. First and foremost I've got to get my temps down. XP 2800+ (Barton) and under full load temps are 130F. I only have one case fan and another PCI slot exhaust fan. I want to add a side fan but don't know where the power is going to come from? I have no more power hookups left. Can I wire more on or do I need some special adapter?

Just thought I'd ask this all in the same place. On system startup it takes approx. 3-4 minutes for my system to boot up. I've already done all the Win XP services tweaks and shut down what I didn't need, but what is taking the most amount of time is the first screen that comes on. It has the Soyo logo and says it is detecting drives, etc. There is an option to abort drive detecting. I have it set to boot to my HD first (I have no floppy). Anyway it goes through all this stuff then finally gets to the XP logon screen. From here it doesn't take that long. Anyone got any ideas.

Hey there,

Basically, a 130F temp isn't bad for an AMD. 140F+ is pushing it into the hot region hehe. You should invest in a good hsf for your cpu. It'll help bring the temp down a lot better than a case fan will. Although having only 1 case fan these days is quite bad. Easy to do, you're going to cut out a basic circle in the side panel (trace out the the circle around the blades) then drill 4 holes for the screws. Fans come with connectors either to your mobo or to your psu, so you should be fine there as long as you have a place to plug it in.

Go into your bios and look for the sata detection, turn that off and see if your post starts a lot quicker.

Gospel, dont connect fan wires togather, this will result in lower CFM.

I dont know how serious you are about this, but getting a Fan Controler, witch will sleep in your drive bay. Would be a good idea. Note that they usually control 2 fans only. I would get 2 120mm fans, and connect both to this controler. Im pretty sure the fans completely connect to the controler, and the controler connects to the mobo somewhere.

Here are the Controlers.
http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Fan Accessories/se=Fan Controlling Devices/mp=menu_search.html

Here are some great 120mm fans.
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-22.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-24.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-15.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/fan-18.html

Demalii said:
Hey there,

Basically, a 130F temp isn't bad for an AMD. 140F+ is pushing it into the hot region hehe. You should invest in a good hsf for your cpu. It'll help bring the temp down a lot better than a case fan will. Although having only 1 case fan these days is quite bad. Easy to do, you're going to cut out a basic circle in the side panel (trace out the the circle around the blades) then drill 4 holes for the screws. Fans come with connectors either to your mobo or to your psu, so you should be fine there as long as you have a place to plug it in.

Go into your bios and look for the sata detection, turn that off and see if your post starts a lot quicker.

I have the best heatsink fan I can get for the space that I have. The way my case is set up the cpu heatsink and fan are only about 8mm from the power supply. The best way I can see to get some air flowing over it is to get another power supply that has dual fans and mod the case to have a fan in the side of the case level with the cpu blowing straight on it. It may be best just to get another case that is set up differently. My case is setup to have a 80mm fan in the bottom front blowing air in. I added the PCI exhaust fan (which of course is in the back) next to my video card to take the hot air from it out. The cpu sits toward the top of the case and, of course everyone knows, hot air rises. It is only reading 117F right now just surfing. Anyone know what CHA temp means?

What kind of case did you get? That case has horrible cooling.. Is it a Micro ATX? I cant believe your CPU is right ontop of that PSU. I suggest replacing that original 80mm fan with a way better fan. Along with adding more.

Codeine said:
What kind of case did you get? That case has horrible cooling.. Is it a Micro ATX? I cant believe your CPU is right ontop of that PSU. I suggest replacing that original 80mm fan with a way better fan. Along with adding more.

The case is a Soyo case. It is a cheapo that came with a combo deal. I'm pretty sure it is ATX rather than Micro ATX. The 80mm fan I installed did not come with the combo. It is a Mad Dog fan that I bought separate.

CHA temp is the chassis temp, which is the temp reading from your mobo.

Yea gospel, I don't think you should get a new case, I think you should look at it as a problem and you gotta find the solution (like you said).. adding more fans yada yada.. it sounds like a really fun project and you'll learn a thing or two. I think you should add 2 side panel fans (towards the back middle, so it'll be blowing on the cpu and the other should hit your video) and maybe even add one fan on the top center of your case to blow out the hot air that collects there.

-My 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom