HP Computer shuts down automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

dapperma

Beta member
I hate to admit here but I need help. My neighbors computer continues to shut down immediately upon turn on - maybe 3 seconds on turning it on and it shuts down. The PS fan starts up then the fan on the MB then it just goes down. Won't turn on again unless I unplug then plug back in. Definitely no virus because prior to continuously shut down it would stay on for about 15-20 minutes and I was able to do a full virus scan/spybot etc. Either way, when I looked inside CPU it was dirtier than anything I ever saw .. from the fans to the board itself. I cleaned that all out. I switched out PS thinking that was the problem, but it still shuts down. Switched out HD and even removed RAM. It was working fine until she had Windows XP put on it. (Which I really do not think that is the prob cause it was working fine for about 2-3 weeks after it was installed.) I had the PS hooked up to motherboard and no other hardware. Still shuts down. The capacitors look good upon initial visual inspection. Something tells me it was initially an overheating problem because of the grime/dirt on the fans and all inside the CPU. What else can I try to determine what the prob is here. Any help would be appreciated.

If you can, take everything out of the pc except the ps and mobo, and use it in another case. If it works fine, it probably the mobo. Also, take the cpu out and use it with the other system.

Okay, so I agree prob the Mobo. Is it worth trying to centralize where the prob is or 1) purchase another mobo or 2) use the hardware as standby for another computer. Never had to dig this deep into a computer b4 so not sure what is involved in buying another mobo. Thanks!

I am doing a lot of reading on the heat sink/fan. Is it possible that could of gone ''bad''. Can a heatsink be interchanged with any computer to test, or do u need to stick with intel to intel and amd w/amd. Her computer has the AMD processors, and the computers I have around the house are Intel.

are u sure the button isnt gettin stuck ????? LoL
i had a hP and my button kept gettin stuck lol and i had the same problem :mad:

try clearing cmos . Its sounds like a capacitor on the MB is blowed.They wont necessarily leak see if the tops are bulging out.
Youve got nothing to lose take out the CPU and reseat it with new thermal compound.

Thanks for the help here. None of the capacitors are blown out or 'look' unusual. I've already swapped out pwr switch and that didn't do the trick. With reseating the CPU.. I did reseat the heat sink, but didn't try the cpu. I can research but those that are the best at it know best... what is the best way to remove the cpu. I have no prob resetting it again, just need the best way to remove. Also, I am having trouble finding the pins to clear CMOS. The Mobo manufac I am assuming is: Santafe-KM as that is the only name I see to the right of the serial number. I did remove the battery and try to start up again, but no luck. Even though I swapped out PS with one from an 'older' system, I am going to swap out again with another one from a more up to date system. I am determined to figure this out and I will stay on top of it until I do. I am one that believes if 'man' built it, it can be fixed. Wish me luck. I await to hear on how to remove CPU. Thx again e1.

Update: I did swap out pwr supply and pwr switch again, and it works fine in another computer and vice versus. I did just get finish resinking the cpu and still the same. I have been able to rule out pwr supply and pwr switch. I guess my next step is to remove the CPU again but this time try it in another computer.. I am sure a CPU just doesn't swap out as easy as it seems - or - does it? Can I just remove the CPU and put it in another computer.. And if so, I am guessing if the CPU works fine in another computer, then the bottom line is the Mobo has died. Any other suggestions for me to try?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom