HD formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerry5739

In Runtime
im going to run dual hard drives and the one already has an OS...how shood i go about preparing my 2nd HD so that it just serves as one partician...i dont knoe any of the dos commands...

assuming its an IDE drive, hook it up to slave, or ATA whatever. once you start windows xp, (assuming you have xp) it will automatically detect it. check in "my computer" and see if the drive is already detected. now all thats left is to format it so windows can read and write to it. Right click on the drive and click on format. I suggest using the NTFS system.

make sure you are formatting the right drive!!! always check. better safe than sorry.

if the drive wasn't partition(new drives aren't) it may not show up in 'my computer'.
right click on 'my computer' - manage - disk management; to make it active,then your able to format it.

are you wanting the second HDD to extend from the current partition? Then you go into disk management (should be in administrator, if not goto start run type MMC and add it as a snap in), in there do the above listed. THEN right click it, set both as dynamic, then set the volume to spanning (combining 2 physical HDD into one partiton)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom