Lmao: FF vs IE

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMajor

PowerQuest / Opera
http://shootzombies.ssxh.net/firefox2.html

Note: These are the features I'm referring to. Even though its technically for the Mozilla browser, most of these can be applied to firefox. I felt the need to respond to the list, not only because I have strong feelings towards me not using firefox, but I have too much free time during my Christmas vacation. Note: I have provided the caption to the feature but not the complete feature description. If you want to read the entire thing go to the previously mentioned link. Enjoy, firefox users.

Tabbed browsing
#1 This is one of the only things I like about firefox, but I can live without it because each tab I open takes about 200 megs of memory (roughly).

Popup blocking
#2 IE can do this without any add-ons.

Prevent scripts from doing various things
#3 You can turn off cookies, and I couldn't care less about the status bar changing.

Site Navigation toolbar
#4 "Displays content from the link tags provided by a document, allowing one to navigate to various parts of a site." -- Navigation toolbar? Isn't that what the main browser window is for?

Sidebar
#5 Don't need this.

Can add custom panels to sidebar
#6 I don't need any custom sidebars. I just need a memory and processor efficient browser.

More control over text zooming
#7 Oh no! IE can only do 5 sizes of text zoom. I'm not blind so i don't need this.

Can zoom any text, even that with fixed pixel sizes
#8 Same reason as 7

Can select from multiple stylesheets provided by page
#9 I don't care about using multiple style sheets. I just want to be able to read a website

Page info dialog
#10 encoding, MIME type, referrer, meta tags? I don't need to know about these things

Detailed form/link/media info dialog
#11 I can just search through the page to find all the available media... why is there a need for a separate feature to do this?

Save plugins
#12 I'll admit this is a good feature, but I never save web pages to my hard drive so its of no use to me

Themes
#13 Themes = more slow down, I would just like a working browser, thanks

Bookmark window displays more detail
#14 Why do i need more detail in the bookmark window? I just need the description and hyperlink. Nothing else.

Bookmark keywords
#15 I have this thing in my brain called memory and it tells me the general location of my bookmark.

Bookmarks can be checked at a certain schedule
#16 I don't give a hoot. If I find a dead link, I delete it.

Cookie Manager
#17 I don't care about cookies. If i want to clear them, I just go to delete cookies in the IE Options

Can delete cookies individually
#18 Almost the same as 17.. I really don't care about cookies that much -- i'm not in need of the feature.

Block images from third party sites
#19 This can be good and bad. But i get used to image ads because they add flavor to boring web pages, such as the one you are reading. You know what? Using a special technique that I like to call HTML, I can circumvent the third-party ad blocking feature by making my own IE propaganda and uploading it to my website:

Your browser can't save you from the comforting blue aura that heroically radiates from the IE logo.

Can block images from certain sites
#20 I don't care, i can deal with it, something I would never configure anyways.

Download Manager
#21 This makes 2 features that I like about firefox, but I have been using IE forever so i can handle missing this.

Can pause downloads
#22 Same reason as 21

View Source [with tag colors]
#23 Useless for me because I make all my web pages in notepad so I don't need syntax highlighting to help me read html code.

JavaScript Console
#24 What i am going to use this for? If the applet doesn't work, go to another page.

JavaScript Console displays script warnings
#25 same reason as 24

JavaScript Debugger
#26 same reason as 24

DOM Inspector
#27 same reason as 24

DOM Inspector image capture
#28 I don't care about this, no need.

Select text and perform search
#29 If you have to search for the text to start the search with... whats the point?

Can select custom search engine
#30 I tend to visit google.com to search, so I never use the address bar to search

Can display search results in sidebar
#31 I don't want any sidebars, just a full page

Supports any Sherlock search plugin
#32 I don't use a Macintosh computer

Can manage saved passwords
#33 I hate saving passwords

Can fill-in complete forms automatically
#34 This is probably the number one thing that pisses me off about firefox or any other browser that does this.

Master password encrypts info
#35 Since i don't want to store my password, why do i need this?

Can disable tooltips
#36 Gee, what a nifty feature. WHO CARES

Caret Browsing
#37 I have never needed this and will never use this.

Type Ahead Find
#38 This makes the third and probably last feature I like about firefox. Oh well, I can do without if it means a faster browser. And how hard is it to Ctrl + F, type something, and press enter?

View Selection Source
#39 Stupid.

Properties dialog lets you see info about various tags
#40 Give me a list of 10 people on earth that have used this more than once over the past week.

View scripts and stylesheets directly
#41 Will never use this because I don't script.

More font options
#42 I don't care about font options. If it was up to me, it would be illegal to use any font except arial, times new roman, and courier new.

Can set minimum font sizes
#43 I don't visit websites that use small fonts anyways. Its a pet peeve i have.

Mouse wheel options
#44 IE has this thing called the back and forth buttons

Multiple profiles
#45 I am the only one that uses my computer, and what the hell am I going to test?

May be installed quickly and anywhere
#46 I don't want firefox on my computer so why do i need to have a quick installation feature?

Can be easily uninstalled
#47 Gee, I'm so glad it has this feature. This means it can get it off my hard drive even faster than the amount of time it took to install

May have multiple versions installed at once
#48 Oh cool, so you can have one up to date version installed, and then three other versions that you will never use.

Cross-platform
#49 Who cares?

XUL
#50 Just the name "XML User Interface Language" sounds like its going to slow down my browser. What do i need this for?

XBL
#51 same as 50

RDF
#52 Good for mozilla. If I ever learn what RDF is or how it can change my internet experience for the better I will.. oh wait, no, I still won't give a damn.

MathML
#53 who cares

XPCOM
#54 who cares

Properly handles MIME types
#55 I never have any noticeable problems with mime types. Useless.

Supports documents sent as application/xhtml+xml (XHTML)
#56 I don't care, another thing I don't need

Can render XML documents with styling
#57 Good for firefox. I hope it chokes and dies on this feature.

Link Prefetching
#58 Never have performance problems with IE... don't need this.

Displays ABBR/ACRONYM underlined and with titles in tooltips
#59 I don't care about this. In fact, I didn't even know these HTML tags existed.

Supports blinking text
#60 I'm epileptic

CSS min/max-width/height
#61 Sounds like something I wont notice/use.

CSS position:fixed
#62 same reason as 61

CSS display:table and related display types
#63 same reason as 61

CSS generated content
#64 same reason as 61

CSS2 selectors
#65 same reason as 61

Supports a handful of CSS3 selectors
#66 God... same reason as 61, someone needs to blow up W3 headquarters so they stop making all these stupid features

Supports some extension CSS properties
#67 I just realized how much I hate CSS.

XML Base
#68 I'm glad firefox is the only browser that takes advantage this feature. It must be widely used.

FixPtr support
#69 What is FixPtr? I want to set fire to it.

Simple XLink support
#70 I am sick and tired of reading about these trivial features, MOVE ON

XML-RPC
#71 Never heard of this, will never use it.

Built-in SOAP API
#72 same reason as 71

PNG alpha transparency
#73 Who uses PNGs for their main website images anyways? If there are people that do this, I don't want to visit their site if they use transparency because this will only slow down my browser.

MNG image support
#74 MNG? Whats wrong with gif?

Supports 'favicons' in any image format
#75 I hate favicons

Display icons in tabs and address bar
#76 This will only slow down the browser. If you haven't noticed yet, I have a slow computer and I am aiming for speed instead of a slow browser that has 90 features I will never use or even discover if it wasn't for this article.

Available for more languages/locales
#77 I am an ignorant, white american that only speaks one language.

Support for standard event handling
#78 Another feature I will never put to use.

Support for additional DOM0/DOM1/Core features
#79 I have no idea what DOM0 is. Sounds like something that will overheat my computer if I open a website that uses it.

DOM2 namespace handling
#80 same reason as 79

DOM2 Style interfaces
#81 same reason as 79

DOM2 TreeWalker interface
#82 same reason as 79

DOM2 Range interface
#83 same reason as 79

DOM3 XPath interface
#84 This website is cheating by splitting up the DOM crap into multiple features. No fair.

Can set size of printed output
#85 I hate printing web pages, if I want the text from it I just copy it into notepad so i don't waste color ink

Can bookmark groups of pages (in tabs)
#86 I will never use this.

Can set multiple pages as a home page.
#87 This feature sounds like something the mozilla developers thought up one day because they were bored with making a slow browser

Can search bookmarks
#88 see number 6

Easily create and add custom components
#89 How many more components am I going to need, damn.

Supports finger protocol
#90 Never will use this... and since they disabled it in newer versions it was either A) glitchy so they had to delete it or B) something no one used. Probably B.

Supports data: URLs
#91 Data URLs? this has potential exploits written all over it. I prefer the regular urls

HTTP Pipelining
#92 I'm happy with regular HTTP, thanks

Supports JavaScript getters/setters
#93 "objects that invoke code when retreived or modified" (direct quote) -- sounds like a virus

JavaScript supports strict error checking
#94 See number 24

Easily accessible preferences file
#95 IE stores my preferences in a place that I couldn't care less about.

Preferences can be moved around easily
#96 I don't set many custom settings in IE, why would I need a browser that can store them in a portable file for me? Chances are you are going to forget to export them before you format your computer anyways..

Various security related features
#97 "Surely you knew Mozilla had better security features" -- This wins the award for being the most descriptive feature on the list.

Supports the jar protocol
#98 I don't download websites.

Open Source
#99 True story about me and firefox's source code: I have a slow computer, firefox (in linux) uses GTK2, I tried downloading the source code and compiling it with GTK1 so the interface would only be semi-choppy instead of really choppy. It compiled for an hour and then ended with error messages. I can't download a pre-compiled GTK1 release because the team stopped compiling it about 30 versions ago. Now I don't use firefox on linux anymore because glorious Team Mozilla leaves users with slow computers in the dust. And I definitely will not use it on windows. I have nothing against open source, though. In fact, if there are any linux users out there that know how to properly compile a GTK1 firefox (1.0), I am open to discussion.

Bugzilla
#100 I don't need bugzilla because I don't use firefox...

Giant lizards are cool
#101 Well this feature doesn't have to do with firefox but i'll just say this... I can kill a giant lizard with my shoe.

Are you like a opera developer or something? Firefox is the best period, just learn to deal with that fact.

when he said that each tab takes about 200 megs of ram, that is complete bull***t i only have 192 ram and i have had 5 tabs open before and could easily have more, what a biased comparison.

Hi,
Ive tried Mozilla and Firefox in windows and Linux.
I often go on the MSN group forums and I find that in these browsers I cant use the tools in the message editors to add links or images, so its not very functional to me.
In Linux I prefer Konqueror because it can browse folders as well as web pages all in one app. I know you can browse folders in Mozilla but it only gives a basic text list of files instead of thumbnails etc.
I was only experimenting with Linux but have give up because despite all the propoganda I think it is buggy, unstable and I cant get any of my hardware to work on it, so Im back in Windows.
I use Maxthon browser in Windows because it is IE with loads of tools and it looks good as well.

Linux and Mozilla are amateur attempts at what Microsoft excel at.

I agree with ever point in the first post and LMFAO so thanks to the Major it has brightened my day up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom