Overview my system please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rememberme

In Runtime
Hello people, I am in the process buying components for a new PC and would like some of you to go over quick pros and cons of the hardware I am planning to get... For example, is the 478 sockets outdated now? What will the new Intel's use in terms of sockets?

Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 478Pin 1Mb Cache 800MHz FSB Processor Prescott

Asus P4C-E 800 (478/AGP3/Dual DDR) MoBo

nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB 8xAGP

1GB PC3200 Dual DDR

NEC ND3502 8xDual 16xR 8xRW
DiamondMax Plus9 PATA 8MB 9.0ms 7200 160GB
Nexus PHT 3600 Heatsink
Nexus Real Silent 400 Watt
ThermalTake Black Windowed Tsunami Dream Case *arrived this morning*
1.44 Standard Floppy Disk Drive

As I say, I would like to upgrade in the future, but as this system should be fine for a few years to come *I hope* I will probably make a new machine by then.

Well personally, i would get a socket 775. I would also get a new mobo, that mobo only has AGP X3?? Your video card is AGP X8. So if your not mistaken, you need a new mobo for that card.

A Abit AS8 Intel Socket 775 ATX Motherboard would work fine. If you wanted a better mobo that has PCI Express a
MSI 925X Neo-Platinum would be great.

AGP 3x does not exist, AGP version 3 exists which is AGP 8X

I would go for teh 775 personally as well. However it looks like your gaming, so AMD *flamesuit on* would probolly be a better choice.

I am not even going to get into the AMD battle.

AGP3 is AGP 3.0 (version 3 as you said). Yes this is 8x like the nVidia card, so I believe I am making the right choice.

What is the real benefit with the 775 sockets? I hear the only real difference is future upgrades, but I do not plan to splash out for at least another 3 years, so I would probably have to buy all new components by then anyways.. ?

I have a socket 478 P4 3.2 chip on an ASUS board with a 6800, non Ultra and one gig DDR dual channel. So I can tell you that I am nothing but impressed with it, Doom3 is awesome on this rig, and since you are getting an Ultra, will be even more bad ass on your rig.

You will have difficulty when upgrading your 478 processor, because by the time you do upgrade, all that's left might be 775 or whatever LGA sockets. Having a 478 doesn't bother me any, because when I do upgrade, I'll be getting a whole new computer anyway.

Agree, the 478 is becoming outdated, but I think in 3 years when I come to upgrade, the 775 will be out as well.

Havnt played Doom 3 yet... exciting!

Yeah, an AMD based system would be the better choice if you are planning on doing a lot of gaming. Don't get me wrong though, the Intel is still fine and will play all of your games pretty easily.

Thanks for the replies. I am basically going with the Intel because I use a lot of video editing and multitasking for my directing degree. Gmaes is just a bonus, not really something I am buying the machine for.

...and its because macs are too expensive before you ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom