How do you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw Im not a p4 fan. I have 4 systems--- 2 amd --2 intel. But I cant compare the 2 because both amd = 800 mhz and both p4 = 2 ghz.

Geekster it's as simple as this:

AMD Gets more instructions done per clock cycle than Intel. It only doesn't make sense to you because all you've ever known is Intel.

If all you ever knew was AMD it wouldn't make sense how Intel has these 'faster processors' that don't do as much.

Like I said though, within 1 CPU Clock cycle, the AMD can get say 10 things done whereas an Intel can only get 5 things done.

This is because Intels pipelines that transfer data are fatter and longer...now you'd think that means extra data right? No that's where they have their mega clock speeds is because of that architecture. That's why they can have 3.8GHz chips is because of their fat long pipe architecture, but they can still only get 5 things done in a clock cycle.

AMD Has short skinny pipelines so they have smaller frequencies. The smaller frequencies they get 10 things done in a clock cycle because it's going back and forth through the skinny pipes a lot quicker.

In all honesty I would choose AMD no matter what I was using it for. Intel is a bunch of marketing whores with flashy numbers that as of late aren't performing up to par compared to the things AMD is doin. Mind you this is solely my opinion so don't take it to heart and that goes for any other intellers who wanna talk crap back to me.

Intels stock is continually going down and AMD's is coming up and you'll never see an AMD commercial. They make awesome CPU's and I will continue to use them until they do something drastically stupid and put out a really crappy CPU or something.

Nubius, thats such a fact. You never ever see AMD commercially advertising! Intel is all over the TV. Its pretty scary cause AMD keeps a low profile, but does so damn well.

Hard to tell...AMD is great for gaming and imaging, I am currnetly running a P4 2.56 on my Dell, it is great for Apps...try looking at PC world mag (http://www.pcworld.com)or some other computer magazines...they review both AMD CPU's and the equivilent Intel CPU's and compare them to each other..which should do you some good.... thats how I researched what type of processor I wanted for the gaming rig I am starting to build.

Wow I knew that there were factions but ... I appreciate all the input. As I am still researching I will try and assimilate all the data and keep going. Let's assume that I follow the AMD route(sorry intel) and go with something in the 2.6 ghz range now the trick is to match a decent repeat decent motherboard and other associated parts. Any ideas?

lol yeah the FX-55 is what like $900+ currently?

If you want approximate 2.6GHz equivelance then you'd be getting a low end XP chip.

If you care to take an overclocking route I can suggest you good socket A mobo and XP chip that you can easily get to 2.2-2.5GHz depending on your cooling....and that 2.5GHz is equivelant to like 3.4GHz Intel, of course depending on which specific Intel processor.

Otherwise if you want 64bit CPU's then you'd need to get something like the 3500+ which is 2.2GHz I believe and would be equivelant to 3.2GHz+ Intel terms.

Especially when 64bit OS comes out they'll really shine of course

Okay so I found this:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Processor

2.16 GHz, 512KB, 333MHz, Socket A

Tell me about "socket A" I noticed this alot but... will all AMD socket a processers work in any socket a mother board? I seem to recall something in the past that limited how fast a processer the motherboard could support. What do I look for?

AMD makes four types of sockets, socket A, socket 754, socket 939, and socket 940. I'm pretty sure the semprons and older Athlon 64s run on socket 754, the newer 64s run on 939, the Clawhammer cores and FX series run on socket 940, and the Athlon XPs run on socket A, although I can't remember exactly.

Most new motherboards today I believe should support AMD up to 5000+ or FX-59.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom