How is this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2GB is overkill....1GB is fine for games. However, you really need to get a different video card. You will not be happy with performance at all from that video card. Get at least a 6600GT at minimum. If you really want performance, go for the 6800GT.

AMD Athlon 64...I bet you that you could get an AMD Athlon 64 2800+ for less than that AXP 3200+ and it would be faster too.

Cut the memory back to 1GB and spend more on the gfx.

why why why why
your putting your money in the wrong places

first get a GOOD proc an amd 64 bit id say a 3200 or 3500

then a GOOD vid card get a 6600gt or 6800gt

Mobo wise get a nforce 3 ultra chipset or nforce 4 ultra

Then get 1 gig of good ram

then you can buy your expensive speakers etc

imo get good setup before you buy expensive speakers

I think you guys covered it good enough.
Scrap the extra gig of ram.
Go with a 6600gt or 6800gt
Scrapt the sound card, most good mobos have pretty decent sound, you would't notice the difference.
I would go with a fifty dollar logitech set of speakers, that will still give you awesome sound.
Unless you plan on overclocking the ram, get some value ram to save $$

Very well I will go to 1 GB of ram...put the rest of the money towards a good video card...I want to thank all of you for your opinions, they are greatly appreciated. If i sounded like a jerk or smart ass i appologize. btw...one of the Local computer stores told me that buying an AMD 64 processor now is like "buying a Porche only to drive it down the block" I am going to take the local tech guys advice for now...when I buy something I dont like to go low grade, i always buy "midrange or above"(hence, if I bought a AMD 64 it would be a midrange AMD 64 and not the basic model...see where I am going with this?) ,even though AMD XP is considered low grade to you guys,it is considered top of the line for budget gamers, so I will stick with the XP processor now untill either the Windows XP 64 bit edition comes out, or untill windows launches "Longhorn" by that time I will be able to afford a top of the line AMD 64 processor.

By the way....what type of wattage do I need to run this setup well? I have a 350W in the case I bought, i was thinking maybe a 500W would do?

just make sure the 500w has nice rails, more specifically the +12v rail

Try and get 18a on the +12v Rail and that'll assure you a good amount of headroom as far as power is concerned

The Ultra X-Connect 500w PSU is excellent and has really strong rails. Like 30a on the +12v

That should last you no matter how many fans, devices, what have you that you throw at it. A really strong PSU but is $100

Nubius said:
just make sure the 500w has nice rails, more specifically the +12v rail

Try and get 18a on the +12v Rail and that'll assure you a good amount of headroom as far as power is concerned

The Ultra X-Connect 500w PSU is excellent and has really strong rails. Like 30a on the +12v

That should last you no matter how many fans, devices, what have you that you throw at it. A really strong PSU but is $100

Thanks Nubius for the advice, I'll look into it.

Really a 2800 Athlon and 3200XP will have around the same peformance. Hey their around the same price too.

Don't waste your money on expensive ram yet, their's better things you should pay for, like CPU :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom