activating windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
I decided to wipe my drive and install windows again. Well I lost count of how many times I have done this. But not this time. Windows said that the number of times I can register has been reached.

I researched and found out that I just copy the two files from the old install (wpa.dbl, wpa.bak). Is there anything else that I need to do? I dont want to go through the shit of calling the ms people. So I copied those files and when I go through the activation thing i dont get confirmation that it is officaly registered.

I installed a new system hard drive, and still have the files from the old hard drive.

What else do I have to do?

Thanks for any help.

different hardware is weighted differently. so changing the hard drive may require you to reactivate, regardless.

that file is like a hardware snapshot. after so many changes which is weighted by which type of device, xp requires that you reactivate.

edit

from http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1168008,00.asp

As outlined by both Microsoft's and the Fully Licensed paper, Windows XP looks at a specific range of hardware. If you add a second hard drive, or a CD-RW drive, it does not affect reactivation (i.e. if the hardware was not present in the original configuration, it will not trigger a reactivation). If you just reformat your existing hardware, you can reactivate an infinite number of times. Likewise, if you change one component repeatedly, such as putting in a new graphics card five times, it only counts as one change. Microsoft has also announced that their activation clearing house system will automatically allow reactivation of a system that had substantial changes up to four times a year (this was originally stated as an MSDN feature, but seems now to be universal).

I just rebooted my pc and before I get into windows it pops up a windows telling me I have to register. It says that the 25 digit serial has reached its limit. So now it looks like I have to call ms up.

Any more ideas?

I have a question. Why does everyone hate calling windows support to activate windows? I've had to do it three or four times so far and it's never taken more than 5 minutes out of my time. Am I just lucky and everyone else gets crappy call times or something?

Sorry for straying off topic.

Sounds like you either got a student version from you school, or an OEM.

There's a fixed amount of installations, because of the way it's distributed. They want you to buy their software (just like any other software company out there).

This usually happens with student software given out by MS at colleges. They want you to use it and learn it while at school, but once you're out of school you're in the public and you have to buy. That's tough sometimes, but not unreasonable.

Calling MS is a good idea. When I was in college, I had a release of Office 2000 that ran out of installations. I called MS, explained that I was still in college and had to reformat my computer, and they helped sort things out. I had to get some new disks (because the new keys they gave me only worked on the new disks), and I had to pay a meesly $8 for the shipping and service. Big deal.

Anyway, other than that, we can't help you really. The only way around this is piracy, and we won't help you with that.

ShoobieRat said:
Sounds like you either got a student version from you school, or an OEM.

There's a fixed amount of installations, because of the way it's distributed. They want you to buy their software (just like any other software company out there).

This usually happens with student software given out by MS at colleges. They want you to use it and learn it while at school, but once you're out of school you're in the public and you have to buy. That's tough sometimes, but not unreasonable.

Calling MS is a good idea. When I was in college, I had a release of Office 2000 that ran out of installations. I called MS, explained that I was still in college and had to reformat my computer, and they helped sort things out. I had to get some new disks (because the new keys they gave me only worked on the new disks), and I had to pay a meesly $8 for the shipping and service. Big deal.

Anyway, other than that, we can't help you really. The only way around this is piracy, and we won't help you with that.

I have the full version 100% legit. I have to call everytime I want to activate it now. I like format my computer 2x a month.

I format my computer every three to four months. And this was the first time I had a problem with it. It might be due to the fact that I replaced my system hard drive. So it sees a new major pice of hard ware and now wants me to buy it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom