Bring this computer back from the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

uzi9mm

Fully Optimized
OK, im trying to revive a dead computer. PI 120mhz (OC'd to 133mhz)
40mb ram. And 1gig HD
I installed win98 and it keeps bugging me about vnetbios.vxd. It says hit any button to contiune and it hangs. So I fixed the whole vnetbios.vxd thing. And it dosent bug me at the startup screen, now it just hangs. But I can open up Win98 in safe mode. Also I felt the heatsink to the CPU and it's not hot. You can rule overheating out of the equation. Can somebody please help me.

DESTROY IT!!! :p

God knows when you come to that kind of stuff. Old computers simply don't care to work a lot of the times.
=/

Yes thank you!!!!!! cappy, and apokalipse. You saved this one from the garbage can!!!!!!! I switched the jumpers back to the defaults and it works. Im just suprised that it even turned on when it was OC'd. This computer hasn't seen the light of day since about 1999. Thank you sooo much.

Uhh ohh. It still hangs when I have the CD-ROM drive hooked up. Ill run through the confilct device manager. But any suggestions on what this could be?

I've had similar experiences with my PIII running Windows 98. I was playing with it over the Christmas break and it would constantly hang during startup (with that annoying blinking cursor). Rather than diagnosis what the heck was wrong, I just ran scanreg and loaded up a previously working registry (I always make a point of backing them up manually every so often). And it went through.

As for ur CD problem, what does bootlog.txt say?

uzi9mm said:
Uhh ohh. It still hangs when I have the CD-ROM drive hooked up. Ill run through the confilct device manager. But any suggestions on what this could be?
My luck is that I cant even access the resources list to see if any conflicting settings are set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom