Western Digital 74 gb 10,000 Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, this one is the one I have and is decent. If you have SATA however this one might be better, Maxtors are cheaper but I have had my share or problems so you could go WD or Seagate if you have the money but theres been many threads about which is better and never a clear winner, although I think I will be going Seagate for my next drives. Also I bought OEM drives which are cheaper but more difficult to return and have a much weaker warranty and no box or documentation if you need it.

You do not HAVE to go to Newegg, but everyone here swears by them and because of their return policy they are better, right now im wishing i would have bought from them. But I bought most of my components on Ebay and a few from zipzoomfly.

Would I need a RAID controller too? I have never actually had two HD's at once so I don't know how it works

No you dont need a RAID controller unless you want two of the same drives in RAID. RAID stands for Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks, its meant to be kinda a scsi replacement since scsi is expensive, it is nice so if you want to have your data be as fast as your 10,000 or.. not sure of the timings but it would be fast you could get two of the same drive and put them in RAID, they have to be the EXACT same though! so you cant just raid two random drives.

I have RAIDed before but one of my drives failed but I'm not sure if it was because of the RAID or not. But its not as simple as plugging in two drives and giving them two different names, there more complex than that and you are more likely to lose your data in a RAID (RAID 1, there are a few different types or RAID).

For your second drive, yeah, I think Seagate is a good choice too. Make sure u get the NCQ version. It organizes IO requests in a "smart" way. You can read the details on their website. It "looks" to be a good idea. Don't know how well it works in practise. Only like 10 bucks more expensive.

If you already have them plugged in and formatted and going and everything- they run at the same time. One will run your OS (operating system) and the other will just sit there, and you can use both at the same time, theyre both ready to be used, you dont switche between them or anything.

No problem, come to TF any time and especially here on Hardware you should get quick responses and good help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom