Western Digital 74 gb 10,000 Raptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dartgande

In Runtime
Why is it that this particular hd is so expensive? I mean, why would one want to purchase it instead of a larger, cheaper hd? Yep, I'm a newb to compy tech stuff.

It's the fastest hard drive available, and its reliable

Some people may say the 16mb maxtor's are faster though

It runs at 10,000 rpm, that means data transfer is much faster. There are also 15,000 rpm drives but I think they are exclusively or mostly on SCSI which you probably dont have and dont wanna play with. Also the advantage of having one OS drive and the rest for programs and games is a big one. You can have the stability and such of having only your os running off of the one drive while the other can run programs and games and if they freeze or some such then they should not screw up your system as bad. Also if data gets corrupted or something then your os drive should always be clean and you wont have to mess around with re-installing Windows.

Its great plenty for an OS, but its not all that much to someone like me who has over 25gbs of music and many many programs. I have my SATA drive with 60 gigs filled, I have plenty left but thats still a lot of stuff. It depends on what you're doing, if you're doing normal stuff think about how a small 40gb notebook drive is enough for most people.

Guess so. For apps (including the OS) that would benefit from fast data access can go there, while the others can go on the larger/cheaper HDD. For signal processing applications, you can move the data in question to the raptor drive temporarily and delete it after the processing is done. Just one application.

Poorly worded.. I guess I meant, applications that would benefit the MOST can go on the raptors drive - as any application would benefit from running off a faster drive :)..

Also it will not be 74 even, after partitioning my 250gb Maxtor ends up being about 232, and my 160gb SATA Maxtor's are 152, they are not exact but it will be close. And you can play your more taxing intensive programs- Video editing, hardcore games, CAD programs, etc on the fast drive. And if you Video edit, your HD space dries up QUick, I think its like a minute of DV to a gig of hd space, well maybe not that much but its a lot.

So what would be a good back-up hd? If the Raptor is my fast-intensive hd, what would be my mass storage hd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom