XP OE deleted my old emails!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkarnold

Beta member
Hi everyone,

In the past, I have upgraded Outlook Express with no problems ..... my old emails stayed there.

Now I upgraded the whole system to XP Pro, thinking that my old emails and address book would likewise still be there. They are all gone!

Is there any chance that they are somewhere else in my system, waiting for me to find them? Or are they just toast?

No, I backed up everything else before the install, but not my old emails.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Jim

I don't know why but i think Outlook Express deletes the emails from your account and keeps them on the computer, then if OE stuffs up, you reinstall and it resets the account files you completely lose the emails
this doesn't happen on HTML accounts though

I was really hopeful that "showing hidden folders" would be the answer, but still no luck. Have you ever heard of XP deleting all of the emails like this? I even did a search based only on file size (my email file was huge) but nothing.

Check for the outlook.pst file on your system as well. This is used by outlook to export files - it is a slim chance, but you may find it.

apokalipse said:
I don't know why but i think Outlook Express deletes the emails from your account and keeps them on the computer, then if OE stuffs up, you reinstall and it resets the account files you completely lose the emails
this doesn't happen on HTML accounts though

No, that's not true... I have upgraded Outlook Express many times, and I always keep me emails on my computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom