How is this setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jord4952

Baseband Member
AMD XP 3200+ 2.2 GHz

Chaintech Summit Socket A Mobo

2GB Kingston Hyper X RAM ( 2x single 512MB, 1x single 1GB)

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card

BFG nVidia GeForce FX 5500 OC (might get FX 5700, but only after I see if this one works out)

2 Hard Drives (1x Maxtor 80GB SATA, 1x Maxtor 40GB SCSI) **i know its tricky for these to work**

Klipch Promedia GMX-D 5.1 surround soud Speakers

Samsung 17" CRT monitor

DVD-R/RW (black)..unknown Brand (don't know what to get..posibly Lite-on or Sony)

3.5" floppy (black)

what do ya think? I know it aint a 64 bit athlon, but I am waiting till 64 bit Windows arrives. All in all, the rig is around $1000 or better.

What is the main priority for this computer.

I'm going to recommend you cut back that 1024mb stick, unless you are doing some monster multitasking, 1GB should be just fine for you.

Also, unless you plan on doing some audio mixing, you can get a decent enough soundcard for a lot better value than the Audigy 2 ZS.

If you have more cash, get a better video card. If you want to get a Geforce 5000 series card, then I would suggest an ATi 9000 series card as they will perform better, however the Geforce 6000 series would be your best choice if you really have a lot of money, and the 6600 GT is a great bargain right now for it's performance.

Gaming and internet would be my main usage for this rig, I want the 2 GB of memory so games would run smooth without worry. I got the sound card at a discount price as well as the video card. I dont have much money..the $1000 price is my budget limit...i think its a pretty sweet rig for the price.

I would lower your memory too, 1Gb is more than enough, and use the extra money for a better video card. If your online you will be playing games, i.e Put the biggest budget on the video card, It will be the most expensive thing you will buy, the saying YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR truly apply's when buying video cards.

Please go back to square one, that's terrible

And the soundblaster cards are not good for audio mixing, their horrid for anything cept compatability

I would only get a gig of ram, the top scoring 3dmark03 PC only has 512 meg of ram neways. I couldnt even imagine what to do with 2 gig.

Get 64 bit chip anyways, because their faster, and the motherboards for them are better.

Get a 6600GT AGP as a minimum

Sorry DJ....but I am not going to scrap my entire project due to only one opinion, I am not using my sound card for mixing....this rig is for games, but I will change the video card...I want 2GB for game performance, plus I run alot a background programs, so 2 GB would fine.

jord4952 said:
Sorry DJ....but I am not going to scrap my entire project due to only one opinion, I am not using my sound card for mixing....this rig is for games, but I will change the video card...I want 2GB for game performance, plus I run alot a background programs, so 2 GB would fine.

The difference from 1GB to 2GB is almost nothing in a gaming environment. Heck if more RAM meant better gameplay why isn;t everyone using 4GB??? 2GB will do next to nothing for games, and can actually hurt your gaming if you have too much (longer to access all your blocks/data, basically it just can slow down your transfer). The only real need for 2GB or more of RAM would be if you are video editing or something multi-media related.

Besides that i don;t see anything that is a "major" problem to me. For a gaming computer that looks plenty fast enough, just you could save loads of money using 1GB of RAM, get the same performance in games, and maybe get a better vid card or something with the money.

ya....looks like u should take the half dozen opinions of less ram so far and follow it. oh ya....2gb is a waste!

i agree with the above. i run 1 gb of ram and a 6800gt and get 100+ fps on cs:S. i would also just go ahead and get the 64bit as you wont have to buy a new mobo and cpu in a year for now. the soundcard is fine but most of the new mobos have 6.1 sound in them.

IF YOUR GONNA ASK FOR EVERYONES OPINION AND THEN TELL THEM TO STFU AND IGNORE IT...WHATS THE POINT IN ASKING?!

~Corey

i believe that having 2gb give less fps than 1gb, and it is even worst with dual channel when you have too much. I would also say go with the 64bit processor, as even in a 32bit enviroment it performs alot better.

Is that scsi 15000 rpm?? and are you getting a controller card for it, as i haven't seen scsi inputs on motherboards, that arn't xeons and opertons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom